Back Inflation Divers Can you do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering, how easy is it for you guys to swim on your side if you have a Back inflation BC? I do that a lot while photography and I have had no problems with jacket style bc cuz aircell (which is all around you) carried you in mid air. if the aircell is behind you then wont you constantly have to struggle to be on your side? Wont the BC be constantly trying to "turn" you one yoru chest or back?

Thought?

I have a Scubapro Knighthawk and haven't noticed any problems so far. I tinker with a camera underwater myself and can easily get into different positions so far. Hope this helps.

As long as I don't have the wing bladder more than 1/3 full,no problem at all,can stay that way for the whole dive if needed. Since my wing's lift is aprox 51#, then that is 17# of lift befor any problem there.That is real close to a full jacket BCD and enough to be assured that the dive could be ending soon.
Anyway, if you are properly weighted your BCD should be pretty much empty at depth,
so, No Problem.

Not a problem with either my Zeagle Brigade or by BP/W with doubles. I think it is more of a weight distribution thing. If the weight is to low on your front or high in the back then you might tend to roll.

What you say makes perfect sense Brewone0to. Now the question would be... if your BCD should be almost empty at depth, where did backinflation BC get the reputation of giving you a better "horizontal profile." isnt that what makes divers prefer back inflation over stab jacket? What difference does it make whether its a stab jacket or Wings cuz down there they are supposed to have no air in them!

SeaHound:
I was wondering, how easy is it for you guys to swim on your side if you have a Back inflation BC? I do that a lot while photography and I have had no problems with jacket style bc cuz aircell (which is all around you) carried you in mid air. if the aircell is behind you then wont you constantly have to struggle to be on your side? Wont the BC be constantly trying to "turn" you one yoru chest or back?

Thought?
If your buoyancy is properly tuned, then there should be a minimal amount of air in your cell to begin with... no air, no sideway trim issues... no?

(P.S. -- I'm wearing a back-inflate in this avatar, and swiming on my side... watching for my wife/buddy...)

The weight of the tank more than makes up for any air cell problems that I can make up on the spot. Regardless, I have never had a problem being in any position with my rear inflate BCD.

Z...

No problem swimming in any position I want in my Ladyhawk.

Back
Top Bottom