Canon S400 Digital Elph Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with the Canon-brand housing for the Canon Powershot S400 Digital Elph? I recently purchased the camera and noticed that Canon also makes a plastic housing for the camera. It is rated to 130 feet (40 meters).

I realize that such a simple housing won't take professional quality photos (no strobe, for instance), but is the output at least decent? Can I get reasonable photos that I can share with my friends? Or is the output so grainy and dark that it's not worth the risk of taking the camera underwater?

Thx...Doug

Have a Canon S400 and housing, which I recently used diving in Turkey. A few of the pics are available at www.merith.com

Am pleased with the results, but am going to add a strobe for my next trip to Bonaire.

Hope this helps

Simon

I got the Canon S400 last week and love it. The housing should arrive this afternoon. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Simon, are there accessories for the housing, strobe, lenses that you know of?

srmjohnson, I can't seem to see your pics. Is there another link to the site? I'm interested in seeing what my S400 is capable of. Thanks:D

Seems to be a problem with my ISP....with make sure that it is sorted soon...please check back to www.merith.com soon. In the meantime, have attached a sample pic....hope this helps

As far as strobes go there are a variety of options:

Epoque 150
Sea&Sea YS-25DX
Sea&Sea YS-90DX
and I think the Inon could work too....am probably going to buy one of the Sea&Sea options

What's the f/stop for that?!?! It's a good example of depth of field.

I just took my new S400 and housing to the Flower Gardens last weekend. It worked real well. The builtin flash was ok but of course a separate strobe will work better. I'm attaching an untouched pictures (just resized it to 640x480) I took at about 75ft - first try with a digital UW camera (only tried the cheap disposables before with bad results). Of course, if you get further away from your subject, it's not going to be as good...

/Mike
DiverGuy.com

The anchor chain photo was taken at F/2.8 with a 1/400 shutter.

Seems like http://www.merith.com/ is back up and running, so feel free to take look at other pics there.

Nice pic Diverguy :)

Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom