Canon S400 Digital Elph Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just received the s400, dc800 and the sea&sea ys-25dx strobe kit.

I will be taking it on a dive trip in a couple weeks. The only hassle with the strobe kit was cutting the velcro material that is supposed to cover the flash on the case. I'm concerned that there needs to be so much velcro stuck to the case that it will bother the internal strobe on shallow snorkeling dives where the strobe isn't necessary, or where you want to do macro using only the internal flash. I'm going to test it out in a pool in the next few days.

The case seems great and works all the controls easily.

With the strobe attached, it is still a very small package to take diving and much better than my Ikelite Aquashot-35 which I was using before.

I dove the flower gardens last summer with the AQ-35 and due to me aiming the strobe incorrectly, not many of my pictures came out. This was when I decided to go digital so I could see my mistake right away and correct them before I get home and find out I didn't get many shots.

Cabo once bubbled...
...I'm concerned that there needs to be so much velcro stuck to the case that it will bother the internal strobe on shallow snorkeling dives where the strobe isn't necessary, or where you want to do macro using only the internal flash. I'm going to test it out in a pool in the next few days.

I thought the same thing until I used it. If you want to revert back to just your internal flash, just remove the velcro patch. I wrap my fiver optic cable around the strobe arm and tuck the velcro patch underneath to contain it out of the way. Easy!

Can either of you send a picture or explain how did the velcro on the case? I had the same concern regarding the shallow depths. I have the camera and case and am now trying to decide about the ys25. If you pull the velcro off so the strobe doesn't fire how does the velcro that is on the case not get in the way of the internal flash?

Also I was talking to someone today who told me to not get one iwth the fiber cable, and just build a bracket to go over the strobe and reflect the light up to a sensor that is on some of the strobes which would fire the strobe. Has anyone hear about this? have you done it? if so how? I know a couple of the reefmaster cameras have platforms that have a piece to direct the light up to the strobe... wonder if there is one that would work for the canon s400 case?

Marc I got my housing from b&h photo and video it was 200 bucks. YOu can get them all over the web though... I used mine last weekend and ti was great. Also the websites indicated a 100 ft max, this is not the case. Both on the housing and in the manual and confirmed with canon that it is rated at 130ft...

Here's a link to an album with photos of my camera rig. It's an Oly PT-10 but it's the same principal as the Canon. In the third picture you can see the velcro patch that goes one the housing, covering the internal flash, as in pic #1. In #2, you can see the fiber optic cable connection in the center of the patch.

If I want to use the internal flash instead of the strobe, all I have to do is remove the velcro patch and tuck it out of the way. On the housing, above and below the diffuser panel, you can see the two small strips of the velcro loopy side that holds the patch in place.

Dee!!! Thanks so much for the pictures, my small mind had this huge piece of velcro the same size as the one with the whole in the middle of it covering the diffuser... hahahahaha....

I totally understand how its done now. I have one question, did you make the velcro or purchase it? If purchased, where did you purchase it? If you made it your self what did you use for the whole in the middle to hold FO?

I had heard about building a piece of plastic with a refelctive inside that you could aim up towards a strobe with the an eye that would do the same thing, heard anything about that?

are you happy with that strobe? I was looking at the ys25 and have heard both good and bad, so i started to look at an ikelite as well... I also heard the locline was a problem, have yours beensolid?

Thanks for the quick responses.

The velcro came with the fiber optic cable and already hade the round connection installed. They also provided the pattern for the shape. I just centered the round connection hole in the center and traced the shape for cutting.

With the S&S YS90DX, you don't need any reflection to aim anything. Just the simple cable. I've never liked the idea of having to keep a sensor aimed in a certain spot in order for the strobe to work. There are too many variables in U/W photography, why add to it? The problems folks have had getting that system set-up, some requiring returning it for repairs or tweaking, just never appealed to me. Ikelites great customer service is always mentioned but my view is if it works like it should you shouldn't need such custom customer service. Normal repairs and stuff is one thing, but things not working right out of the box is quite another. But that is just my opinion. There are folks who swear by Ikelite and would probably be better to answer your questions.

IMO, the YS25DX is not strong enough for U/W photography. The YS50DX is barely so and the YS90DX is the minimum that can do a good job. And even some photographers think the 90 is inadequate for wide angle and scenic shots.

I've been extreme happy with my Infinity loc-line arms. I've been using them for several years. It holds the YS90DX sercurely in the water. Topside it has to be supported. That's OK because I bought them for their performance underwater, not above it!

Dee thanks for all the information you have been very helpful... Guess I need to be looking at the YS90 I see there are three models, the 90Auto, 90DX, 90TTL Duo, which do you have? I am assuming the cable doesnt come with it. I saw a cable kit in the store and there was no velcro with it, I guess I will ahve to ask about that...

I too like the idea of not having to play around with anything out of the box. I am an amateur photographer just wanting some nice pics. I mean I only have a tiny s400... I took it the other day and got some nice pics with the internal flash I just want to improve that... With that being said maybe the 25 would be ok just for me... But I defiitely want one with the cable....

vettenorlando once bubbled...
Dee thanks for all the information you have been very helpful... Guess I need to be looking at the YS90 I see there are three models, the 90Auto, 90DX, 90TTL Duo, which do you have? I am assuming the cable doesnt come with it. I saw a cable kit in the store and there was no velcro with it, I guess I will ahve to ask about that...

I too like the idea of not having to play around with anything out of the box. I am an amateur photographer just wanting some nice pics. I mean I only have a tiny s400... I took it the other day and got some nice pics with the internal flash I just want to improve that... With that being said maybe the 25 would be ok just for me... But I defiitely want one with the cable....

You'll definately want the Sea & Sea YS90DX. The 90Auto hasn't really been proven yet plus you have to set the f/stop on the strobe to match what you're using on the camera...just something else to have to fool with. The 90TTL Duo doesn't work with the pre-flash of most digital cameras. And I believe it has to be hotwired.

I've seen the 90DX both ways, mine just happened to come with the fiber optic cable but some don't. Just for reference, I paid $525 for both strobe and FO cable about 18 months ago.

You s400 is a 4MP camera, right? With a strobe, a bit of patience, and knowing how to set the camera, you'll get some great shots with it. It may be small in size but it holds its on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom