Roatan BIBR Sand fleas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monica Eccher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning,
My family and I are going to Roatan in November and have heard horror stories about the sand fleas. I bought some Bug and Sun lotion for my toddlers. Any insight would be so helpful. Thank you

Anything with 20% or more of Deet in it works pretty good.

"Cactus Juice" works very well - doesn't have harmfull chemicals - If you can't find it in a store at home you can buy it almost anywhere on the island.....

You made a good choice in where to stay - the folks there will take great care of you

Also if you email BIBR and ask them to pick some up for you I am sure they will see that it is on hand waiting for you......

Or, you might just get lucky and get there when there's a lull in the population. They come in waves here in Belize. Some days they're thick...others there's almost none. Same with mosquitos.

We've barely seen a sand fly so far in 1 trip to Belize and 2 to Honduras, thanks to the consistent breezes, so pray for those! I've also heard any kind of oil keeps them from biting, like mineral oil or vegetable oil, though you'd have to be careful about sun exposure. Have a great trip and please post a trip report!

We travel to the Bay Islands often and I like to apply a layer of baby oil before application of bug spray. Works for me.

Put on the bug spray BEFORE you leave the airport! I was bitten-up with over 80 bites within the first hour of arriving and touring our beautiful resort! I had to find local antibiotics, itched/hurt like crazy all night and day (except when diving - yea!) and still have bite scars. Most people don't have such a bad time but for those who are sensitive to mosquito/bug bites, keep the Deet constantly applied!

Wow! Thank you everybody. I can handle it. It's my kids I worry about. They love playing in the sand. I'm sure it will all work out. Thank you. Monica

Wow! Thank you everybody. I can handle it. It's my kids I worry about. They love playing in the sand. I'm sure it will all work out. Thank you. Monica

If the preventative doesn't work, look in advance for 'the cure'. For adults, there is Benadryl (or Equate brand) capsules and lotion. The Cactus Juice? I think it is marginal, but their "soothing gel" is really nice. Have it with you and know how to administer it. The itching can drive an adult insane. Bring it with you, ask your physician or pharmacist.

Orajel dotted on the bites works like magic - numbs them right up. Seems like a lot of work but the relief might be worth it, especially to keep kids from digging at the bites.

Back
Top Bottom