tobys water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Temperature in Tobermory on the weekend of June 14/15 2003 was as follows:

Lighthouse - 70 ft - 44 deg F
Tugs - 25 ft - 48 deg F
Caves - 30 ft - 45 deg f
Charles C. Minch - 30-50 ft - 45 deg f

Hardly any thermocline because everything was a thermocline Brrrr. :wink:

Normally this time of year it is around 55 deg f down to a depth of 30 ft and the thermocline drops it down into the hi 40's. with the late spring temps are down.

FYI the park has raised the price of dog tags to a ridiculous $15.;-0

thanks for the info and i wonder why the raise in price..?

I had to buy my tag on Saturday (last) and have it hanging on one of the D rings on my Xwing.

By the way, Sunday morning at 10:00 or so, water temp on the deck of the Niagara II was 35 degrees F at the deck (about 78 ffw).

The water was a bit colder on Sunday than it was Saturday. A couple days of nearly calm winds allowed the water to warm a bit, then on Saturday afternoon the wind picked up a bit and began to mix up the water a bit. As a result the water at all of our dives on Sunday were a bit colder. We dove the Niagara II and Caroline Rose and then made a stop at the caves/grotto.

Drop a line with questions...

gadget once bubbled...
FYI the park has raised the price of dog tags to a ridiculous $15.;-0

What's so ridiculous about $15 for a year long pass to dive? Even at that, they still need a $$ top up from the government to meet expenses, even with a lot of volunteer hours. And what does the money do? Provided and maintains the access deck and washrooms at the tugs. They buoys indicating where divers shoudl be and where baots should be. Patrols the area and attempts to keep people from stripping what little remains for souveniers. Co-ordianates/regulates the timing between the glass bottom boats and the dive charters to avoid conflicts. Also if I recall correctly from the OUC newsletter, a portion of it goes to support the chamber.
All that for less than what it costs me in gas for one trip up there. IMHO, downright cheap. As a quick comparison, Cost to dive at Gilboa Quarry is $10US a DAY

We were diving in the Owen Sound/Wiarton area on the weekend. Water temps were 41/42F (depending on whose guage you looked at). Hopefully a few warm sunny days will warm it up. I've seen rises of 1 degree/day in with full sunshine.

I agree with Groundhog, 15 bucks is not much. Its also a kind of neat keep sake of diving in toby. I have them going back many years now.

The other thing is I paid 10 bucks for mine this year. I got mine over a month ago. I had heard that they were going to rasie prices. I asked when I bought it but they had not yet raised the price. I guess you should have been earlier.

I have never seen anyone uop there checking for tags. Mind you everyday I dove there, it was not great weather drizzle and cold. Has anyone ever been asked to see their tags??

Dale

p.s I would pay the $15 if I were going, but am glad that Brockville is $0 . (I would even be ok with paying a small fee for the Montreal - Toronto Corridor to help promote diving in the area, and to maintain buoys, etc)

Dear Groundhog,

You make several good points on what is provided and it's value, ridiculous is too strong a word when suprise would be more accurate..

I guess what bothered most of us who have been going up there for close to 20 years was when you looked at it from a percentage point of view as it jumped from $8 to $15 ( 90% )which has some pretty good shock value and seems punitive to divers.

(On a side note - lots of non paying tourists use the bathrooms-not just divers, the glass bottom boat and dive charter operators aren't taking people for free and I have never seen park wardens out in scuba gear gaurding the wrecks from souvenier hunters - I rarely see them at all.)

FYI - The comments we have been hearing from a lot of experianced divers in casual conversation is that it is just another reason not to go to Tobermory. ( it's not fair but people are saying it)

Perhaps it is just an image problem, but combine that with a long drive from the GTA, very cold water and some would argue poor wrecks compared to Kingston or Brockvile ( not me - I love the Arabia) and it could be a problem for the town of Tobermory.

Just some thoughts...

Dale

p.s I would pay the $15 if I were going, but am glad that Brockville is $0 . (I would even be ok with paying a small fee for the Montreal - Toronto Corridor to help promote diving in the area, and to maintain buoys, etc) [/B][/QUOTE]

You can support the Mooring project in Kingston by joining POW
http://www.gtcs.org/member.html

Tom R

Back
Top Bottom