A toilet papar related question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I understand that most of the smaller hotels don't have good enough plumming to handle the used toilet paper. My source says:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for your note, Many or the smaller properties in Mexico have the same
request... use the trash for the paper insteaed of the toilet bowl. Not unusual,
their plumbing systems are not the best and easly plugged.

There are many other properties that have much more up to date systems that work
great but many of the small real budget hotels are like this one.

Let me know what you are looking for so that we can make a better recomendation.

Best regards and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need additional
information.

I look forward to being of service.

Liliane Oks - Wordlinks Travel Services (-:"

Does anyone know any exceptions to this rule?
:peek: :worried: :blush:

Most of the older buildings on Cozumel, including restaurants, hotels, private homes, etc. have plumbing systems that can't handle TP...

Another problem that we have is roots... the roots from the bouganvillas and other plants get tied up with the pipes. (we are on a rock, basically, so they grow out - not down) This adds to the problem.

Embarassing, uncomfortable, but true. Only the newer hotels have plumbing systems that handle TP, and even then you are better off using the trash can provided to avoid even MORE embarassing block-ups.

I have experienced this problem in & Playa del Carmen as well. Was unsettling, at first. You get used to it & it's no big deal.

We flushed tp down the toilet at Plaza Las Glorias the whole week with no problems. I had never heard of this before. Now I understand the sign in one of the downstairs public bathrooms next to the dive shop. I thought they were just having problems with that one bathroom.

We stayed at the Occidental Grand, and there was no mention of this at all. It is a brand new hotel however, and I'm sure equipped accordingly.

It's no big deal...just put the paper in the trash receptacle provided....if you're squeamish...just wrap it up with some extra clean paper. Be thankful they have TP and toilets that FLUSH! The cleaning staff disposes of the paper when your room is cleaned.....THEY are the ones who should be squeamish if you ask me! Remember...this is how THEY do things in THEIR country.....we're the visitors.

Besides the new glitzy resorts with the "appropriate plumbing" are using injection wells that aren't deep enough and are polluting the local's ground water courtesy of the developers paying off the local government.......just go ahead and add your "portion" to the Mayan people's drinking water and leave knowing you didn't have to look at your paper in a waste can for a few hours.

Something to think about......

Well if they are pumping TONS of feces and urine and all into the local ground water, what difference will some TP make?

Answer: None. Or so little a difference it isn't measureable.

Don't try to make it *OUR* fault that they are doing this.

A piece of TP in a glass of water IS drinkable....and won't be *contaminated*. A big fat TURD in it....is another thing altogether. SO Your theory of TP making it worse.....doesn't hold water. hehehe good one huh?!?!?! The waste is what is bad....the rest is just a small problem when compared side by side.

Yeah it sucks BAD, and is wrong to the Nth degree, but their society allows it to happen. Not the common Joe tourist who doesn't know better.

:wink:

Brules

PS - I am just talking about it being pumped into the ground....not puting TP in the toilets.

Brules once bubbled...
Well if they are pumping TONS of feces and urine and all into the local ground water, what difference will some TP make?

Answer: None. Or so little a difference it isn't measureable.

Don't try to make it *OUR* fault that they are doing this.

A piece of TP in a glass of water IS drinkable....and won't be *contaminated*. A big fat TURD in it....is another thing altogether. SO Your theory of TP making it worse.....doesn't hold water. hehehe good one huh?!?!?! The waste is what is bad....the rest is just a small problem when compared side by side.

Yeah it sucks BAD, and is wrong to the Nth degree, but their society allows it to happen. Not the common Joe tourist who doesn't know better.

:wink:

Brules
You missed the point. The TP plugs the plumbing , but thanks for coming out.

Thanks for trolling my posts, go find something else to do.

Stalker.

:wacko:

Brules

Back
Top Bottom