Atomic ST1 Feed back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkmcdaniel

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a new Atomic ST1. I'm a little concerned about is durability give it is Stainless Steel. I have read what Atomic has to say about it but was interested if anyone has any personal experience with this reg. as it relates to its ability to withstand corrison.

Thank you
David

it's made from some specific type of stainless steel, so I think it's fine...but I think it's a gimmick... why would you want the ST1 over the B2?

I have 2 and love them. My primary reason for ST's over the B's was durability. Stainless is MUCH more durable than brass.
As for corrosion resistance; of course stainless is corrosion resistant. However, with proper cleaning and maintenance, your plated brass regs shouldn't really corrode either.
If you decide to go with the ST's, you wont be disappointed.

well exactly, Brass is less durable, technically, but I don't think we would ever have to worry about it in our lifetime, especially since annual reg. service would detect anything going wrong with the reg, and Atomic would replace it because they offer a lifetime warranty...

I wasn't worried so much about them wearing out; I highly doubt that would ever be an issue. I was more worried about dings and such from overhead collisions. I'm as careful as I can be, but unfortunately sh** happens.

I've been told the ST1 is environmentally sealed, but I've also been told that there is an cold-water environmental kit. I'm a bit confused- is their an environmental kit for this, is it sealed, or not?

Atomics website says the M1 first stage is sealed and cold-water ready, but doesn't say that about the other regs- but I've also heard they are all identical expect for the metal. Then again, the M1 has some coating that seems to imply it has better performance in cold....

Does anyone have a diagram for how the first stage works on the atomics? Their website has a decent exploded-view of the second stage, but I can't find anything about the first stage.

Thanks!

The website picture does not show that the ST1 is sealed nor does their description (the shop-a-tron descriptions says it is). The M1 and the T2 are the only regs I know that come sealed.

The only difference in the M1 first stage from the B2/Z2 is that the piston and the swivel retainer are made from monel - all other parts are the same. On the second stage there is a monel orifice. There is no coating on the M1.

Well, the lava rock here is not a kinder and gentler thing and I do a fair amount of belly scrabbling out. I just went and looked, my B2 is more scratched than the SS1, and the B2 is in my mouth. Scratches is all, not gouges, and I’ve sliced a tire open getting too close to a lava rock wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom