Burning a frameless mask - tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also scrub the heck out of the skirt with toothpaste. The same stuff that's on the lenses is probably on the skirt. Seems to work. All I use is spit and sometimes I forget to do that until I'm 15-20 feet down.

Also, the goo from my nose seems to be Kryptonite for mask fogging. Don't know where you can buy any though. :D

I gotta say, my spit is probably the most useless for defogging. It's much too thin and watery. There was this IANTD instructor I knew who had the magical spit. It was better than any commercial defogger, save for baby shampoo!

Well, how did the glass burning go? My new frameless just arrived in the mail...

It actually worked quite well. One side of the lens that I must've cleaned well enough didn't soot up. However, the "problem" side sooted up pretty quickly. I rinsed it off in some soapy water to clean off the junk. I tried it the next day without any of the baby shampoo I normally use and it didn't fog up.

I started in the middle and slowly worked my way towards the edges, but never got too close to an edge.

Burn, baby, burn. I never thought of it. Where were you guys last year when I posted about problems with my frameless? The lens on that Promate laughed at toothpaste and the like. Finally, after many trials, I tried Starbrite Liquid Rubbing Compound and that worked. Now, all that is needed is a spit rinse and the mask is clear all day. Burning, who would'a thunk it.

its really not hard or scary (well, maybe a bit) to burn your mask film. it only takes seconds. completely removes the film. you can actually watch the film burn away as you go. no more than 5 secs per side, keep the flame moving. I don't go all the way to the edge of the frame. most of the way, leaving less than 1cm of film on the edge. then clean that with toothpaste. no need to scrub your window to the u/w world for hours with abrasive paste.

And the best is this that silicone seems nonflammable.
I tested it using silicone gel and piece of glass. There was soot, but so was silicone :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom