Burning a frameless mask - tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I am wondering is if you are brushing the mask enough times with toothpaste. I would literally sit there in front of the tv with a bucket and scrub for a really really long time multiple times and rinsing multiple times.

I do this, it is more efficient and more effective than scrubbing.

Just keep the lighter moving around intil the 'soot' looks pretty even across the mask. Then clean it with warm soapy water.

Jeff

Not all toothpastes work as well. Try good ol' fashioned, original "Crest". I have had really good luck with that!

The Toothpaste method - Foolproof instructions:

Get a tube of white toothpaste - no colored Gel
Put a 2-3cm squirt onto the lens on the inside
Rub it around with your finger all over the lens.
Leave overnight
In the morning it should nice and hard
Simply rinse until clear of toothpaste
Hey presto - you now have a non foggy, fresh smelling mask Permanently!!

This works - try it

I was doing some cenote dives in Mexico in November and mentioned my Atomic frameless fogging to the DM. After he asked me if it was ok to do so he took my mask and did the lighter thing, just as Scott M described in previous post. Both lens were covered in soot quickly, no rubber burned. Except even now if I don't get a good coat of baby shampoo on it still fogs a little. I'm not real sure the lighter burning did much. I think there is more to the fogging issue than just getting the initial film off.

I dive an Atomic Frameless, and do so in both cold and warm water. I've not had many issues with fogging. Maybe on a couple of dives when it was new, but I tend to just wash the mask out with soap when new, and then see how it goes. Normally after a few dives, all is good.

Maybe the issue is not the mask but how some folks breath. If you exhale at all through the nose, the mask is going to be more prone to fogging. Masks also fog when going from cold temps to warm temps. Think of what happens to sunglasses and goggles when you come in from outside, they fog. Warm to colder seems like less of a problem.

Fog is a PITA, but it's also an easy problem to solve during a dive. Just flood the mask a bit. I've never done the mask flame dance, but I think if you don't chant, it will not work! :eyebrow:

I was doing some cenote dives in Mexico in November and mentioned my Atomic frameless fogging to the DM. After he asked me if it was ok to do so he took my mask and did the lighter thing, just as Scott M described in previous post. Both lens were covered in soot quickly, no rubber burned. Except even now if I don't get a good coat of baby shampoo on it still fogs a little. I'm not real sure the lighter burning did much. I think there is more to the fogging issue than just getting the initial film off.
There was not much you could do while at the cenote's well unles you had a dishwasher available but I found the burning alone helped but did not solve the issue. The burning coupled with a good run through a hot dishwasher does the trick and trust me there are few who can fog a mask like I can. I literally tried everything listed on this forum and I went back as far as I could search to find solutions. I tried the toothpaste over and over again, every form of defog, multiple combinations. Nothing helped. I was resigned to putting a little water in the mask every 5 or 6 minutes rinsing and clearing until I tried the burn and DW method. Absolutely no issues any more and my last dive was with a new mask using the same method with 100% success. The best part is there is little effort and no cost. The Dishwasher part I picked up on an old thread here from a mask manufacturer.

Darn, I don't own a dishwasher... :D
LOL You could always stop by sears and tell them you want to buy one but not until you test it out on your mask.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom