Drift Specialty Course - worthwhile???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travel to Mexico. I believe that it is a law that a DM must lead divers. I've never been on a dive in Mexico that was not lead by a DM.

We had a DM but he didn't lead anything. We were a group of 6 traveling together and we planned our own dives and chose when to ascend (60 minute dives). Sometimes I forgot he was even with us :D.

I think a drift dive specialty is funny. My first dives after certification were all drift dives (same location and during the same week). I have been doing open ocean deco stops ever since. So this should not be a problem for someone who is already certified, imo.

I think a pee valve certification is discriminatory--I can't use a p-valve :(

Why would you say that? Thoughts please. I just did the deep to 39m theory (dives in about a week) and I learned a lot about gas management, how to calculate MODs for different mixes, a bit about about decompression theory, etc. Found it really useful.

After giving it consideration, I withdraw my comment.

I received my open water cert (NAUI) when the course was a lot more intense and inclusive. Virtually all of my diving has been done "deep" (beyond 60 ft) with the majority of the dives in the 80 to 100 ft range. Almost half without benefit of a computer and about a quarter without BC. Planning and gas management was SOP.

But now thinking about it.. My daughter is recently open water certified. If I were not here to mentor her, would she benefit from the deep diving specialty? Answer.. yes.

Withdrawn.:)

After giving it consideration, I withdraw my comment.

I received my open water cert (NAUI) when the course was a lot more intense and inclusive. Virtually all of my diving has been done "deep" (beyond 60 ft) with the majority of the dives in the 80 to 100 ft range. Almost half without benefit of a computer and about a quarter without BC. Planning and gas management was SOP.

But now thinking about it.. My daughter is recently open water certified. If I were not here to mentor her, would she benefit from the deep diving specialty? Answer.. yes.

Withdrawn.:)

Haha ok fair nuff. Can see what you were getting at. I was just curious seeing as I was in the middle of doing the course if I would be missing out on some things I should know about deep diving. OW course these days seems to be watered down, given what I have been reading so I am sure I will find the deep course useful. Honestly, I am pretty cautious with gas management, etc even without the deep course but my main concern is how narcosis will affect me so wanted an instructor around for my first time dealing with that! :dork2: Pretty nervous about that~~

Anyway, mikeyjoe I think you will find the deep course interesting (the theory session was great anyway, and I imagine the dives will be as I will be allowed to the depth where the wrecks are in my area :D), much better than the drift course so good idea to save money for that. Heard good things about rescue too, I am planning on doing that towards the end of the year too :)

Around here, OW instructors take you to 60', my AOW took us to 102' and a deep course instructor will take you to 120'.

My feeling is I'd like an instructor with me the 1st time I go to 120'/125', especially if I get a bit of narcosis.....

Thanks again for all your advise.

In my opinion, skip the course & save the dough. One week of diving in Cozumel is solid drift training in itself, and you'll develope the necessary skills during the week.
There is some specialized knowledge & techniques involved, but you can get that from a book & refine them during the trip.

One other option, if you're nervous about certain elements of Coz style diving, such as doing a free descent, ascent, or safety stop without a line. Various dive operators offer private DMs.
This is fairly inexpensive, and will give you that extra feeling of security you're looking for on the first dives, plus the DM can answer any questions you have. Though it certainly isn't necessary, it's a nice option, and less expensive than 2 courses.

BTW- as a frame of reference, countless folks get certified in Coz every year & in doing so master
(to some degree at least) the various drift techniques early in their careers without taking any the specialty course.

Why pay for it, you'll be an expert after your trip there with or without a course--lots of on the job training......honestly, if it's available, I would not while there(never heard of it being offered--most just assume you're ready to fly UW.....

Regular dive, You go down and come up in the same place.
Drift dive, You go down in one place and come up in another place.
Any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom