Drift Specialty Course - worthwhile???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeyjoe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi All,

We will be vacationing in Cozumel June 28 - July 12th.

I find taking a couse on vacation kinda nice (did wreck last year in St. Maartin) and I am considering doing the Drift Diver course while in Coz.

I have Advanced/Nitrox/Wreck.

Would this be a worthwhile addition?

Cheers,

Michael

Drift diver course IMO is not worth the $$$
If you can find a GOOD biologist,do a bio specialty,you'll need to find a marine biologist to teach this well

Or take a GOOD deepdiver course.

just my 2 cts.

I think just reading all the post about drift diving here is enough information.

The main thing about drift diving in cozumel is the boats are not moored. They drift, then motor, then drift, and motor to follow the group of divers. The key thing is to keep together with the group. Don't listen to the SB members who say "I don't need a stinking DM to lead me"... It is simply for your safety.

The boat will keep an eye on the bubbles forming over the group, so if you and your buddy wants to stray at a 90 degree angle, they will not follow you.

If your air consumption is higher than the group, signal to your DM when you are down to 1000 psi or so, and slowly ascend, while remaining above the group at a shallower depth. This will assure that when your DM and the maingroup ascend, you will be right above them. The DM will send up an SMB (surface marker) at the safety stop depth, and you will hover below it, and surface as a group. The boat will pick up the main group first, and if you decided to go out on your own, tough luck. Inflate your SMB by yourself, and hope that they can find you.

Another key thing about cozumel diving is to stay close to the DM. He has a light and will point out all of the splendid toad fish, nurse sharks, octopi, crabs, and eels for you. Stay behind him and close to him, so you don't have to fight current to catch up and look at his findings. Fighting currents will burn air, and you will look foolish being the one to force the group to surface early. As many of the good dives start at 90 ft and go shallower, you should have good diving skill, and make sure you let the DM know when you are low on air. Again, the usual protocol is for you and your buddy to ascend to a shallower depth just above the DM, and everyone continue on their dive.

Hi All,

We will be vacationing in Cozumel June 28 - July 12th.

I find taking a couse on vacation kinda nice (did wreck last year in St. Maartin) and I am considering doing the Drift Diver course while in Coz.

I have Advanced/Nitrox/Wreck.

Would this be a worthwhile addition?

Cheers,

Michael

I'd have to say "no"

Pretty much all of the dives in Cozumel are of the drift variety. You'll get a lot of practice without even trying. All of the dives are led by a DM who shoots an SMB during the safety stop. Review the "Drift Diving" section of your AOW book if you like. The PADI book is pretty good about highlighting certain things, such as staying close to your buddy during descent/ascent (currents can vary with depth leading to buddy separation), not trying to fight the current, and holding position while swimming into the current (if necessary). With good buoyancy control, Cozumel drift dives can be some of the most relaxing experiences you'll ever have. I would recommend spending your hard-earned $$$ on doing more boat dives. :)

I would recommend bringing some signaling devices (whistle, signal mirror, emergency strobe, SMB, Dive Alert maybe) just in case your buddy pair gets separated from the group -- although we never even had this problem and always stayed pretty close to the DM. The boat crews that we worked with were very good about picking up the air hogs when they surfaced before the DM.

Cozumel was my first bona fide dive trip several years ago...and I had a blast! Have fun and be safe.

I didn't even know that there was a 'drift divng cert'. If there is it's a money grab by the certifying agencies. A day of drift diving in Coz will make you an expert.

I have to say that I tend to come from the school of thought that says: if I have a straight choice between two dives just looking at fish, and two dives where you look and fish and you also do some knowledge and skills reviews and pick up a badge, I go for the latter (even if it involves a few extra bucks). But maybe that is just a personality thing.

I haven't taken the class, but I've been on more than a few drift dives, and I can't imagine that you need to know more than what your guide will tell you in the briefing (and what common sense should tell you.)

Before you decide, check out the price difference between the dives with and without the class. Sometimes, you'll find that the rentals are included in the class price and that the class is either cheap or free.

You have to know how to shoot an SMB from depth if you get separated from the group. If you are not comfortable with this, I would read the existing threads on the issue then practice as much as I can either before Cozumel or during your first few (but not the very first) dives there. The course is worthless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom