Drift Specialty Course - worthwhile???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with any course, it depends on you and the instructor. Some people learn by reading, some by doing, some by being taught. If you enjoy learning all the little tips and shortcuts from an instructor while doing some fun dives, then go for it. If you would rather figure them all out on your own, that works too.

I'd have to say no as well. If you want to gain a couple skills that may be handy, watch the DM as he shoots the lift bag at the end of the dive. Maybe even ask him to show you how on a dive. Shooting a SMB is a nice skill to learn.

Tom

I have to say that I tend to come from the school of thought that says: if I have a straight choice between two dives just looking at fish, and two dives where you look and fish and you also do some knowledge and skills reviews and pick up a badge, I go for the latter (even if it involves a few extra bucks). But maybe that is just a personality thing.

Unless it's all about the card, you don't have to pay anyone extra bucks to do some knowledge and skill reviews with your buddy on a regular dive.

Haha ok fair nuff. Can see what you were getting at. I was just curious seeing as I was in the middle of doing the course if I would be missing out on some things I should know about deep diving. OW course these days seems to be watered down, given what I have been reading so I am sure I will find the deep course useful. Honestly, I am pretty cautious with gas management, etc even without the deep course but my main concern is how narcosis will affect me so wanted an instructor around for my first time dealing with that! :dork2: Pretty nervous about that~~

Anyway, mikeyjoe I think you will find the deep course interesting (the theory session was great anyway, and I imagine the dives will be as I will be allowed to the depth where the wrecks are in my area :D), much better than the drift course so good idea to save money for that. Heard good things about rescue too, I am planning on doing that towards the end of the year too :)

One thing know you will get out of it is how depth affects your abilities. The instrutors will have you conduct excersises at the surface then the same or similar ones at depth. That is interesting.

Like others, I just want to emphasize that practicing shooting an SMB is important when drift diving, especially if going to a site like Palau. Since I shoot video, I tend drag behind a bit and bring up the rear in our group. I had to shoot my bag twice at the end of dives because I got separated from the group, and I was very glad I practiced this in my local quarry before I went; there definitely are learned techniques in this skill. In Palau you are pretty much isolated out there and that SMB could be your life line back to your boat; divers have been lost in Palau; however, while in Coz, lots of boats and divers are on the sites, and your chances of being swept away unnoticed is much less. Still, knowing how to deploy the bright orange sausage will give you added security.

If you are concerned about the boat losing track of you on drift dives, there is a better way Florida divers have perfected....pulling a torpedo float...see link Riffe Torpedo Divers Float - Riffe All Other Safety Gear

These have virtually no drag--they are nothing like the huge pull and drag of a dive ball ( typically towed by divemasters on drift dives). You can travel with them deflated, meaning they take up very little space, and then inflate orally prior to diving. I would use a spool or a reel with thin line, like cave line to tow these, as the line itself usef with float balls is so large it accounts for significant drag itself.
The Riffe float has a dive flag on it, which stays upright, due to a small weight in the bottom of the float( inside the material, where it produces no drag).
Dan

I like the concept, but the flag is too short and too small to be an effect safety market for a lost drift diver, imo. Flag needs to be on a 5' telescoping pool, and atleast 2'X2' in size.
Agreed for the lost diver--my use would be for the entire dive, so the boat sees where I am all the time.
Dan

Back
Top Bottom