Looking for info on the Savannah/Hilton Head area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto with uncjump. I'm headed from Alaska to Ft. Benning and I'm looking for some diving. I'm certified to trimix and have done a lot of poor vis/rough water diving.

I noticed on a map that there is a Lake Marion. Is this anyplace to consider? I know it probably would not have much in the way of sights but I am easily entertained. Just being underwater with ANYTHING to look at this point will be fine, especially if it's warm.

Here are 2 web sites that will hook you up for diving off Savannah.

scuba-market.com & divegeorgia.com

These are to our LDS and local dive club, Blackbeard's Scuba Club. Check them out. The shop does local charters and regularly takes training trips to Fl. The club takes trips up and down the coast. We also meet once a month at a local restaurant and usually have a guest speaker. If your dates work out you would be welcome to join in.

As three of us from this area have said, the diving here is advanced due to depth and conditions. We all learned in the Fl springs, did some easy ocean dives in Fl and only once we were ready started diving here. We have quite a few really good sites including reefs and wrecks. I consider the coast of Ga to be one of the hidden gems of the dive community.

I had a really great set of dives in Jacksonville. 2 hours tops driving. The were easy wrecks and fairly shallow. Good vis, warm water. I took my kids.... You should be fine. PM me and I'll dig up the dive shop info and send it to you.
Also, Charleston is only a couple of hours drive and they have Cooper River dives for fossils. Lots of fun. They also have a lot of wrecks around there. Check out the dive shops and hook up with some of these guys to get a group together.....

Here are 2 web sites that will hook you up for diving off Savannah.

scuba-market.com & divegeorgia.com

These are to our LDS and local dive club, Blackbeard's Scuba Club. Check them out. The shop does local charters and regularly takes training trips to Fl. The club takes trips up and down the coast. We also meet once a month at a local restaurant and usually have a guest speaker. If your dates work out you would be welcome to join in.

As three of us from this area have said, the diving here is advanced due to depth and conditions. We all learned in the Fl springs, did some easy ocean dives in Fl and only once we were ready started diving here. We have quite a few really good sites including reefs and wrecks. I consider the coast of Ga to be one of the hidden gems of the dive community.

MAKO DIVE CHARTER

Where have I been the last few days....OH diving off of Savannah. I run divers off of Savannah out of WASSAW Sound. I am booked two weeks out right now, but if you need a trip here in the Savannah/Hilton Head Is. area I can cover you. It is an advanced dive. If you contact me through my web site : : Mako Dive Charter : : we can work out how to gain the experience need to dive offshore Savannah.

If you book a weekday early I might be able to take somebody.

MAKO DIVE CHARTER

I also offer private diving charters anytime of the week on my 38' sportfisher out of Broad Creek Marina in Hilton Head. All of our trips include a divemaster as well...check us out...

We can arrange most any type of dive trip to cater to individual needs...

Integrity Charter Fishing--Hilton Head Island

-Michael

Looks like an impressive operation, marusso (and The Integrity looks beautiful!).

Can you accommodate beginner divers?--should we be concerned that just about everybody here says the diving in the area is advanced?

doebtown,

Thank you for your kind words, unfortuneatly for some reason, the website is not fully fucntioning at this time, time to call my IT guys, :D

There a few sites close to shore off Beaufort/Fripp Island, that average depth of about 45 fsw, and another that is about 65 fsw which is about 13 miles off the beach of Hilton Head. These dives are pretty cool, but not quite as exotic as our diving further offshore, however, they do give an new diver a glimpse into what diving off our coast is actually like. Typically the visibility, depth, sea life, and type of structure are very similar. Once someone gets a feel for the environment, diving deeper and further out usually is not far out of the question.

We actually had some divers on board last week who made their first ocean dives on the Betsy Ross wreck, about 75 fsw, a few weeks ago and while they did not have a huge amount of bottom time, they still managed to see turtles, cobia, flounder, damsels, big spadefish...So in reality, it is up to the individual, and that is how we determine the destination.

-Michael

Sounds great! We've been to 65 feet in Curacao, but the visibility was really NOT an issue there.

If we can I REALLY want to have a dive planned over Labor Day weekend. You know, even if it's not the most SPECTACULAR dive (or the longest dive), I've been going to Hilton Head for so long, I would really like to be able to say I've dove there. PLUS, I'll never get the experience I need for cooler dives if I don't start with the less sexy dives.

While I never would have known there was a problem with your website if you didn't say something, I didn't see anything on there about rates or gear. Do you provide tanks? I know there are shops in Savannah where I can rent gear--is that the best bet? What kind of exposure protection will I need?

Where is Broad Creek Marina? I know Hilton Head Island pretty well, but I'm not sure where Broad Creek is.

Thanks! Looking forward to trying something new.

There a few options regarding gear, usually, for my out of town guests, we have a courier service that will deliver the gear to us for like $40 each way from Savannah, not a bad deal at all unless you really want to go to Savannah twice.

The best option in regards to booking a trip is to give me a call so we can talk logistics and dive planning as soon as possible so we can try to fill the boat up with additional divers, after all, 1,000 horsepower engines are quite thirsty :) so unless you are bringing six divers, we will try to bring additional divers to offest the cost.

Please give me a call 843-422-1221 so we can start planning your dive. Also, since the dives are pretty far in advance, there are a few things training wise you can do to help yourselves out before you come!

Looking forward to your call...

-Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom