Looking for info on the Savannah/Hilton Head area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, yesterday was fun. You could say it was a Rodeo ride. Very little current in the morning, but on the 2nd dive it was crusin. Made for a good lazy person dive.

Jaime

Also something to keep in mind, I and am sure Capt Walt would agree that we would not take clients out in those conditions as described above, however, conditions can detoriate quickly which is why I am constantly monitoring the onboard satellite weather.

When my buddies and I used to dive all the time on the weekends, we would always force dives when the weather was marginal, but that was us just having fun. We only had so many weekends to dive, so we wanted to get as much diving in as possible regardless of the conditions. With clients, we only dive when the weather permits a nice ride and comfortable diving.

Answering your question above about diving in November, it is definately a much more hardcore kind of diving. Generally the weather is colder, the water in the mid to lower 60's, and the seas never seem the lay down. While the visibility will improve with the cooling ocean temps, the level of dive precision goes way up, and margin of error decreases.

All that being said, diving in the warmer months when timed properly, on a a big boat, can be done with relative ease. We have completed hundreds of dives offshore locally, and love it everytime.

-Michael

BTW: terrrydive1: I checked out your website and your training prices are awesome. I appreciate how you stated there would not be any hidden costs, that always used to bother me about some of the LDS from around the country I would deal with. Glad to hear about another operation in the lowcountry.

My time on the board is getting less...busy as can be. I agree with all you said marusso. I don't cancel to many trips but will in a heart beat if I don't like the conditions. It is nothing for fishing charters but putting divers in the water is a hole nother animal. No big deal just a hole other level of awareness. When it is just the buds and me we go....(I'm smiling right now)

Y'all take care and good diving to all. And Happy Hunting.

We were out on the J reef yesterday and it was pretty much just like you said Capt. Walt. We did a drift dive in the afternoon and with that current we were flying.

As everyone from around here knows the conditions can change for the better or for worse at any moment so you have to be able to handle a mix of conditions.
but once you get use to diving the rough stuff, damn it is fun.

Damn, it is fun. I can't get it out of my system...even if I wanted to.

I took some divers from NY out the other day and we had some good diving. The guy that organized there trip was all about diving here off of our coast. He had been out with me last year and brought down his buddies from up Nouth. They said to hell with Fl. and the Keys this is real diving. That's the good stuff...

Roger that!

Cap'n Walt - I haven't forgotten about you tor a possible dive over Labor Day weekend. I've just been too busy up here in New York City to make too many phone calls. Are you still available that first week of September?

Back
Top Bottom