Looking for info on the Savannah/Hilton Head area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you guys consider to be Advanced? Looking to be in Savannah in Nov. Any diving then??

Advanced meaning, able to dive deeper than 60', able to navigate in poor visibility and able to set up and dive in rougher seas. Having experience diving off boats is a must. You should be very comfortable in your setup and buoyancy control since you will have many other things to contend with depending on the conditions at the dive site. Understanding how to use and deploy SMB's and the use of reels/spools is definitely a must for safe diving offshore Georgia.

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Not going out today picking up my kids latter. Vis yesterday was 15'-20' out at "J" reef the flow was over 8' so the current was ripping in the afternoon. Seas 3'-4' so you could feel the swell at the bottom on the wreck. I Still got some good video. I have reasons why you do not go off my boat without a timing device, safety sausage, a real and a knife. I like divers with computers and NITROX as well, however not mandatory. Good times to be had by all.

What do you guys consider to be Advanced? Looking to be in Savannah in Nov. Any diving then??

16-20 miles offshore 3-5 knot current on the ebb and flow. Seas can pick up to 4-6 feet or more. I have come back from (40 mile bottom) the Navy towers in 6-9 ft swells wind turn from SW to NE and really get sloppy. In FL. on 90% of the dives you can see the beach the entire time you are out. I LOL and say y'all got it easy here. There is more....But I think y'all get the picture. It is not that hard it is just awareness of the possibilities. Roger that.

Also something to keep in mind, I and am sure Capt Walt would agree that we would not take clients out in those conditions as described above, however, conditions can detoriate quickly which is why I am constantly monitoring the onboard satellite weather.

When my buddies and I used to dive all the time on the weekends, we would always force dives when the weather was marginal, but that was us just having fun. We only had so many weekends to dive, so we wanted to get as much diving in as possible regardless of the conditions. With clients, we only dive when the weather permits a nice ride and comfortable diving.

Answering your question above about diving in November, it is definately a much more hardcore kind of diving. Generally the weather is colder, the water in the mid to lower 60's, and the seas never seem the lay down. While the visibility will improve with the cooling ocean temps, the level of dive precision goes way up, and margin of error decreases.

All that being said, diving in the warmer months when timed properly, on a a big boat, can be done with relative ease. We have completed hundreds of dives offshore locally, and love it everytime.

-Michael

BTW: terrrydive1: I checked out your website and your training prices are awesome. I appreciate how you stated there would not be any hidden costs, that always used to bother me about some of the LDS from around the country I would deal with. Glad to hear about another operation in the lowcountry.

Thanks for the compliment Marusso, I always appreciate it.

We were out on the J reef yesterday and it was pretty much just like you said Capt. Walt. We did a drift dive in the afternoon and with that current we were flying.

As everyone from around here knows the conditions can change for the better or for worse at any moment so you have to be able to handle a mix of conditions.
but once you get use to diving the rough stuff, damn it is fun.

Back
Top Bottom