Split fins or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've only ever been diving with my split fins that I bought during my OW class...and after getting a reasonable amount of wear with them and as I fine tune my skills and expand my kick types, I'm starting to get the sense that there are some major limitations to them.

I feel like they are less effective against currents, they aren't good for frog kicking, and something in the design makes them difficult to use to make directional changes. I have no idea why I feel this way, I have no experience with anything else, but part of me is thinking that they are great for someone who wants to flutter or scissor only, and in mild conditions only.

Am I imagining this or have other people had this experience and been turned off by them? I'm feeling about ready to just switch over to some jet fins. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

fast fins are fast fins, speed over ground means nothing, if the fns are fast in calm water, they will be equally fast in a current. Since almost every test done, shows that the better Splits are very fast indeed, you should be fine. Sure they don't frog kick that well, but then again, why would you want to frog kick, its worthless in recreational diving if you know how to properly perform a flutter. The only problem with splits is the insanely high kick rate that you need to maintain to get them to go fast. and most people can't really maintain it for long enough to make headway into a fast current. But then again, with paddle fins the same people have to work so hard they tire and cramp anyway.

Personnally, even as a former competitive swimmer I can't maintain the kick frequency to fight into a 3knot current with even the best splits. I can't stand the strain on my ankles and hamstrings caused by paddle fins. So I go for option 3. ForceFins, sure they look wierd, but they can really more and they are easily the most comfotable fins out there.

Your in the the DC area, let me know if you want to go try them, I'll bring a wide assortment for you to try.

Yes, I a split fin kinda diver, easier on my knees and less cramping up. So what is exactly a 'frog kick' I feel stupid asking this question! As far current goes, I use the scubapro jet fins and either keep up or take the lead in front of most others.

What fins you need or like will depend in part on what kind of diving you do. I read the posts above and wonder who in the world ever WANTS to fight INTO a 3 knot current. I don't dive in 3 knot current, and should I find myself in it, I'm aborting the dive unless it's a high speed drift (and possibly even then).

Stiff paddle fins are superb at close quarters maneuvering. You can gain very precise control of your position and your momentum with them, and utilize a number of nice tools like back kicking and helicopter turns, all of which can be quite useful when you are trying to maintain position with respect to any other object, whether it's a teammate or a feature of the terrain or a critter. Yes, you CAN back kick and helicopter turn in splits, but it is quite difficult if you don't already know how, and if you do, it's mushy and imprecise and frustrating.

I don't think anything can beat split fins for swimming hard straight forward over a hard substrate. I can't keep up with most split fin users swimming straight ahead. But then, other than a very few brief moments into current, I've never WANTED to swim hard forward. Swimming fast means missing the very things I go down to see. For spearfishermen, it's entirely different. They need to chase prey -- Fast is important there.

Sure they don't frog kick that well, but then again, why would you want to frog kick, its worthless in recreational diving if you know how to properly perform a flutter.

I absolutely disagree with this. In Puget Sound, with our seafloor frequently composed of very fine silt, only a VERY skillful modified flutter will leave the bottom undisturbed. Frog kicking gets me around my dive sites neatly, gives me feedback on my buoyancy, and leaves the trail behind me completely undisturbed.

fins2.gif

I've got both. I can say that it's basically user preference.

however, I dive the splits most of the time, but I agree that you can't kick them hard in a strong current. but my legs are more comfortable with them (but thats just me).

fast fins are fast fins, speed over ground means nothing, if the fns are fast in calm water, they will be equally fast in a current. Since almost every test done, shows that the better Splits are very fast indeed, you should be fine. Sure they don't frog kick that well, but then again, why would you want to frog kick, its worthless in recreational diving if you know how to properly perform a flutter. The only problem with splits is the insanely high kick rate that you need to maintain to get them to go fast. and most people can't really maintain it for long enough to make headway into a fast current. But then again, with paddle fins the same people have to work so hard they tire and cramp anyway.

Personnally, even as a former competitive swimmer I can't maintain the kick frequency to fight into a 3knot current with even the best splits. I can't stand the strain on my ankles and hamstrings caused by paddle fins. So I go for option 3. ForceFins, sure they look wierd, but they can really more and they are easily the most comfotable fins out there.

Your in the the DC area, let me know if you want to go try them, I'll bring a wide assortment for you to try.

While I disagree with what you said about frog kicking, I've always been a little intrigued by force fins. I might take you up on that.

same here as MIKE_S said

love my TUSA Splits , very easy on my legs and muscles

current they are tougher to swim through with the splits, not as much power

i personally use both depending on type of dive

I have splits, three different kinds, and force fins. I abandoned all of my others for my force fins. At first, you think you're not able to make good headway into a strong current. Until you look around, and realize that you are far ahead of everyone else. You don't feel the resistance on your kicks and you feel like you're not doing any work. Which is the beauty of it.
I also have no trouble with frog kicks or manuevering. They do look funny, but that's also fun, because during suface intervals, someone is always begging to try them out...
Take Meesier42 up on his offer. Give them a shot. Also try some other types and see what suits you.

If you want, I even have a pair of ForceFin Splits, the Split Fin that Apollo ripped off to make the Bio-Fin, and then patented as the "Natures Wing"

GROAN! Here we go again. :popcorn:

For me it is not splits. I simply don't like them because they are anemic for frog kicks...and let's not talk about things like a helicopter kick. On the other hand if you have issues such as cramping, etc. then maybe splits are the right choice.

I am sure they are great for some people...but the "they are faster" point is meaningless to me. There are a lot of other factors that play into this, drag created by how the diver configured their equipment and the diver's physical conditioning are probably the two leading ones.

The short of it is use what you like and works for the diving you are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom