Split fins or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for their Pricing. retail pricing right now is in line with their performance equals. The Apollo BioFin, the Aeris Velocity XP, Tusa Expert Zooms, Oceanic V-16, Mares Volo Power.

Force Fins has the right to price their fins as they see fit. I also just noticed that the prices have been reduced since last I looked. The original are now on sale at around $150 (Leisurepro). That is still on the very top end of the pricing spectrum with BioFins, and most other manufactures coming in around $150.

I have some Force fins originals, and like them. If you are questioning why more divers don't wear them, part of the answer is pricing. They are on the very top of the pricing ladder, and that for the lower end Force Fins.

So a question. What results in a $70 pricing difference between the originals, and the pros? I doubt there is $70 worth of raw materials in either fin much less $70 more materials in the Pro?

Grish, your questions reflect the psychological impact of reading Scubaboard. It has given you doubts even though your splitfins are probably fine.

I'm just getting to reading through all the replies, but I should note that this is not true. My doubts come from diving experiences as well as talking to other divers with years and years of experience...I've never read anything here about fins and had no idea the debate I was starting lol. I did qualify in my post that how I felt might be my imagination.

I have seen countless debate over paddles, split fins and force fins. What is never mentioned is that the split fins is the only fin I am aware of that allows a diver to easily remove their bikini bottom without having to remove the fins first as the fin may easily be folded over lengthwise to facilitate this important U/W skill.

Hellooooo, that's what a string bikini is for. Just untie and you're good to go. I got that covered. :wink:

I'm getting the boyfriend-ish to bring a pair of jet fins to the pool on thursday for me to demo. I agree that fins are a matter of personal preference and I think, maneuverability aside, I really just want to be able to feel my legs pushing water in the very way splits are not designed to do. I'm athletic and have no concerns about cramping or getting tired, so we'll just see how it works out.

Hellooooo, that's what a string bikini is for. Just untie and you're good to go. I got that covered. :wink:

I'm getting the boyfriend-ish to bring a pair of jet fins to the pool on thursday for me to demo. I agree that fins are a matter of personal preference and I think, maneuverability aside, I really just want to be able to feel my legs pushing water in the very way splits are not designed to do. I'm athletic and have no concerns about cramping or getting tired, so we'll just see how it works out.

Sounds like a failure point. You probably might want to think about replacing the strings with some stainless steel springstraps.

snip.... I'm athletic and have no concerns about cramping or getting tired, so we'll just see how it works out.

Sounds a little like running in hiking boots, which is what I found jet fins to be like. In the '70's we all learned to dive in Jet Fins. They almost enough to keep me out of the water. When I discovered Force Fins in 1983, I felt like I could fly underwater, and there is good reason for that. It is that when your fin blade is driven by the largest muscles in your leg, your quadriceps, you feel the fin less. It is also a better use of your body, which increases safety. A jet fin, but let's take this beyond that, fins that extend off the end of your toes are felt more because they are loading, or providing resistance from or to your knees, ankles and calves. It is also a major cause of cramping. Athletic proficiency extends the time for when a cramp might set in, but does not eliminate the main cause, and that is fins with blades extending off the end of your toes require that you hold your calf contracted when kicking. When you hold your muscles contracted during exercise, it will eventually cause a cramp. Split fins lessen that load, but the physiology is the same.

Splits, turtles, flip or force fins – whatever fin you chose, just remember Diving is not Drag Racing
As I posted in that thread:
..Speed very rarely comes into play and when serious speed or power is needed the diver’s ability and fitness is 95% of that equation anyway. A fit, skilled diver will out swim most anyone even with the cheapest, weirdest or goofy fin there is, regardless of the fin color.

so its agreed then, your dislike for ForceFins is your lack of skill

Am I to understand that Meesier42 is in some fashion involved with the sales or marketing of ForceFin?

I realize that for some inexplicable reason internet debates can become passionate, but it has always seemed to me that belittling potential customers is not a good sales technique. But what the heck do I know.

Am I to understand that Meesier42 is in some fashion involved with the sales or marketing of ForceFin?

I realize that for some inexplicable reason internet debates can become passionate, but it has always seemed to me that belittling potential customers is not a good sales technique. But what the heck do I know.
meesier42 is not affliated with FF in any way. Must just have an inferiority complex because he bought them and must have gotten laughed at or teased and is on a mission to prove he bought the right fin, don't know for sure but I have to agree with you. If I was Bob I would put a disclaimer after everything meesier posts to save the company because everything he says only hurts the company, from the poor choice of remarks to the support he tries to give those that have bought or are looking because after reading 3/4's of his posts the rest just sounds too phoney.

The fins are fine, i have a set I just do not chose to dive them for reasons I listed earlier,.... well that and I guess I do not know how to fin.

what is exactly a 'frog kick' I feel stupid asking this question!
well; lot of us waiting for the answer (me included) :D
oh, and yes, I love my Tusa splits, don't mind the speed though, i use my camry for that.

Grish, if you need to feel the pain, get some Quattros. The XS Powerfin is also well regarded unlike jets of yore. I'm guessing that the rubber compound was changed a few years ago because the old jets could not perform much beyond mediocre. If you want to fly underwater and also on British Airways, etc, get a pair of Oceanic Caribe. They weigh next to nothing and will zip along with the best, and faster than any Force Fin. What I'm saying is that after you get tired of lugging jet fins and bulging out your leg veins with the Quattro, get the latest technology that the industry has, and they're cheap. That would be the Oceanic Caribe or (almost forgot) the Mares Avanti Superchannel. Personally, after hearing your imaginary concerns distilled from listening to some bonehead diver acquaintances, the Superchannel should be the better choice. That will really pizz off your buds; once when you buy them and second, when you push by them underwater. Get the FF type and wear soft booties. You know I'm right. Quibbling about whether you are being unduly influenced by Scubaboard or simply by "divers" tells the tale. Like I said.
Pesky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom