Leisure Pro vs. Other Internet Retailers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I just made my first ever purchase with Leisurepro. I purchased a Suunto SK7 compass and asked them prior if it was set for our region. The response was "of course it is"! Well upon closer examination I now notice that it is not set for the North American region (region 1). This was purchased at their shop, it was very close to closing time so to open everything and check it would be uncomfortable and a bit rude. After getting it home I noticed and then compared it to another sk7. Sure enough it is for another region. At the time I was also looking for an Atomic frameless mask. I had tried one on in the store and it fit very well; the problem was it looked used and tattered so I choose not to buy it. I will likely buy that from a dive shop but I will expect them to provide some bit of a discount; this should prove fun. Bottom line is that I do not think that Leisurepro plays ethically. They will get away with whatever they can. I bet many people will never notice that their sk7 is not balanced for our region. I had to learn and I am sure that others will too. I shall see now if LP will "make good" on this compass and how. Do they have an absolutely new region 1 version in stock? How will they know if they do as I don’t think it is stated on the compass or box? Will they try to give me a hassle when I wish to return it? Try to sell me something else? (That will annoy me.)
…

I believe the region is marked right on the box. I bought the same compass from them and it was definitely set for North America.

It was wrong for the sales person to just "assume" it was definitely set for the North America region. I would not assume that they intentionally sold you the wrong compass. You have also acknowledged that you failed to check it before leaving the store so you also must accept some of the blame in this case. They have customers all around the world so it makes sense that they have a limited number of compasses that are set for outside North America.

Call them on the phone today (they are open on Sunday) and explain to them that you specifically asked for a North American compass and the sales guy told you it was for North America and you believed him.

I am sure they will exchange it with no questions asked.

I have never been intentionally misled by them and they have never refused to take back unused merchandise that I purchased from them.

mictrik & ronbeau, I’m not sure if I was the salesman of the compass or not, but I do think I was in the store at the time that mictrik was there. I remember that he did not like the condition of the mask and he left it, and he may well have also asked about the region of the compass. Many times when asked questions about gear we will need to check on it, in this case we most likely did not. Why? Well we only stock region 1 is the main reason, it keeps things simple and avoids a lot of confusion, our customers in other regions are often times happy to make due, otherwise they are more then welcome to pick up the proper compass at home or somewhere else. If you are not happy with the compass and would like to return it or exchange it for another we would be more than happy to do that for you. You may of course bring it into the store to do this or call us for an RA and you can send it in. If you want to exchange it I have 10 more new in box sk7 wrist compasses in the store and over 150 in the warehouse that you can exchange it for.

Funny thing, I wanted a wrist computer holder and the slim-line one came with a depth guage.

Only went to 6 feet, sent it back, they sent new one instantly (have not tried it yet).

This is the first time I have had any scuba Item not work ever from any where in my whole life of diving.

As I have read of divers having problems with gear and take it to get serviced, still problems when they get it back, Human error is the only way I see it.

Now for LP buying online gear, They are awesome for they are so busy they always want to make sure you get your stuff, so they more than likely hurry to package and send.

I have had better regs in less regs packaging, I have been doing the monkey diving and orderd three backplates, two stuck together now I have four, this has been going on for years, just cause I state this now dose not mean that brett will closely look at every thing mailed out,
Its a mistake weather you win or loose its just a mistake, I spend thousand's a year at LP and have the best luck and they are always helpful on the phone, on the info I need to know on a product, of course I always ask for brett on questions that are my wacked out way's of trying to improve or tweak my gear.

Yet I still support all dive shops in the world when traveling or at home.

Happy Diving

VooDooGasMan, ahhh if only I had time to check orders and make sure everything was right… I’m pretty sure it’s somebody’s job but it’s definitely not mine. You hit the nail on the head though, looks like mistakes go both ways, but for some reason I only get calls when something’s missing. We do our best to minimize errors, and having worked at other companies that did a lot of shipping I can say that we do a very good job. Generally our orders are processed accurately and efficiently.

I edited some posts and inappropriate comments.
One more comment like this and I will close this thread.

Mania

Last edited by a moderator:
Hollywood Divers is here to play ball. if you have a product that you bought from L.P. and you can't get help, call us. We can help you. We can get it fixed, get something better or try to get the manufacturer to play ball. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Every time I get a L.P. customer in my store we take the ball and run with it. They can't do anything that I can't do. Oh, except sell SCUBAPRO AND AQUALUNG ONLINE. I am a major Suunto dealer and Scubapro dealer. We see what those guys do, listen to the manufacturers excuses and roll with it. They are my competitor and I do everything I can to beat them. Hopefully your local dive shop does that as well. We also fill every breathing gas that is useful, argon and are open 7 days per week. We do repairs, teach classes and run trips as required to become a dealer by most reputable manufacturers. Our prices are fair and if you get lemon then we make the manufacturer pony up.

Have fun Ya'll. We like to form relationships, selling the gear based on lowest price, last years models, seconds blah blah blah is not what we do.
Quality Quality Quality if it fails to serve, is recalled or is not the correct size we don't even flinch. We take care of you. I hope this helps...how old is this thread ?

I like my LDS and have bought my "life support" equipment from them and I still buy some things from them, but I do shop around. One of the best things about LP is some of their deals. Take for instance a pair of Scubapro jet fins were like a 105.00 at my LDS. I bought them at LP for $45.00-$50.00!!! I also bought spring straps and I was able to get both for still less than my LDS was going to sell me the fins alone. To this day I look on LP for good deals as they always have them. I still support my LDS, but I aint going to send their kids to college.

I have always recieved my orders in a timely fashion with no problems what so ever. Matter-o-fact when I bought the spring straps they were too small (I ordered ones too small) I called LP and it was squared away quick. I have nothing bad to say about LP after probably ten transactions.

They can't do anything that I can't do. Oh, except sell SCUBAPRO AND AQUALUNG ONLINE.
I don't see any Scubapro gear on the website.

hollywooddivers:
They can't do anything that I can't do. Oh, except sell SCUBAPRO AND AQUALUNG ONLINE.

I don't see any Scubapro gear on the website.[/QUOTE
]

I think he was saying that he can't sell scubapro and aqualung online.... otherwise he can do "anything that LP can" on selling...

SP and AL don't allow official online sales (except unofficially by LP).

Thanks Mike. I misread it.

I edited some posts and inappropriate comments.
One more comment like this and I will close this thread.

Mania

Thanks, but GOOGLE Groups cached copy will be the final arbiter of what is censored or not.

The internet and bile are forever.

FWIW, I have made several small purchases from LeisurePro and never had a problem. I decided to purchase a new BC from LeisurePro based on the good previous results. I ordered my BC size XL. The shipping was amazingly fast and VERY reasonably priced. (I live in Tokyo, Japan and must use an internet based retailer because of #1 communication issues, #2 Size issues, and #3 Price issues. Shipping costs are always a consideration for me.) When I opened the box, I immediately realized they had sent me a size XS. I sent off 2 emails to the salesman that had assisted me. No answer for nearly a couple days. I sent another one (3rd) directly to the customer service department and cc'd the salesman after not receiving a reply to the first two. (To be fair, this was the beginning of October and LP was in the middle of some religious holiday period). I quickly received a reply after the 3rd email. The salesman said that all he could do would be to refund the purchase price of the BC as sending the BC back to NY would be too expensive. (LP must get great volume discounts on shipping. The shipping cost listed on the invoice from NJ to Japan was $68. My cost to ship the BC from Japan to NJ via the same shipper ranged from $275 - $300!) The salesman asked me to send a photo of the BC with the XS size tags visible as verification. I did that and in less than 24 hours, I have a confirmed refund for the full price of the BC. Shipping was not refunded. I have the NIB size XS BC and will put it up for auction in the local (Tokyo) market. After confirming the refund, I purchased another BC from LeisurePro (after attempting to purchase the BC from scuba.com at exactly the same price and finding that shipping cost to Japan were nearly 4X LP charges). I received the BC in less than 3 days (from NJ to Tokyo, which is AMAZINGLY FAST). Everything in good order. I am now a loyal LP customer.
To summarize: LP can and does make mistakes but they will correct the mistake at their cost if necessary. LP has VERY reasonable shipping charges with really fast delivery times. They are reasonably prompt and courteous when dealing with customer service issues. Their prices are competive with other online retailers and with regard to the market in Tokyo, much CHEAPER. And that is about all I expect from a retailer!

Having Been absent for sometime from Scubaboard...I'd like to put in my two cents. For what it's worth. I used LP extensively overseas in the Army. Prices were always good and We...(several of my Dive Buddies 20+ & I) used their services for every type of product you can think of. WE never encountered any issues with any of their equipment. That being said..one thing Dive Shops don't want to hear is that your using Online Vendors..but sometimes it helps to save a few bucks. I have read pro's & con't about their products. One thing I can say is You need to research your products. Similar to Computer Mfg's ability to change item #'s or discontinue a product..you might find that LP is selling something that is no longer in production in the regular market. But before you know it..no matter what you use becomes obsolete. I spend hundreds of Hours underwater with many of their products and must say..I was always pleased with the equipment. Having the ability to go into a Dive shop and put my hands on the product I am going to use is of much more of a comfort for many people. Many times we never had that option. They have always stayed in touch and customer service was always very good. Many have mentioned that they are not Licensed Distributors for some of the equipment they sell. You buy it ...it's yours..that is true...same thing that always holds true.."Buyer Beware" I would have to give them an overall positve rating. Good Luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom