Leisure Pro vs. Other Internet Retailers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I am told that if you try to get a battery replacement or a service on a Suunto that was bought on grey market, the store will check it against a database, and if you are not on the white list then they will not do it.

No idea if that is true or not, but my own experience in situations like this is that it is rarely a problem that a couple of Jacksons cannot square away.

Well this is why I use a computer with batteries I can replace myself. There is no white list. People that tell you this are trying to scare you into buying from them. People who believe it are uniformed or misinformed customers. They should wise up.

My complaint is not about shipping cost per se, my complaint is when they insist on shipping by some expensive method, when they could put it in the USPS mail for under $1 - or whatever. If I'm paying for shipping, then I should be able to dictate how it is shipped. If the vendor wants to pay for the shipping, then by all means, then them decide how to ship it.

I feel your pain.

I ordered something from 123Scuba that was a small nylon accessory holder.
I weighed it on my postal scale and it was about 1.5 ozs and the item cost only a few bucks.

I asked them if they could just ship it via USPS because of the weight. Nope. they ship everything UPS.

So I got a $9 UPS charge for the minimum 1 pound where it could have been shipped USPS for under $1 buck. The shipping cost was more than the cost of the item.

I blame the shipping cost on UPS, not the shipper. But for small items like this the shipper should have the flexibility to use USPS and put a freaking stamp on the envelope.

But, while I didn't like the extra un-needed shipping charges, they got me the part to me in a time manner.....

I blame the shipping cost on UPS, not the shipper. But for small items like this the shipper should have the flexibility to use USPS and put a freaking stamp on the envelope.

The problem is simple. I too only allow my customers to use UPS or FEDEX. Why? The pain involved with USPS is UNBELIEVABLE. I tried it for a few months and I nearly closed up shop because of the untrackable packages; the lousy customer service at USPS; The non-delivered packages. I could go on and on. It's just a royal pain in the a$$. No one wants that - period.

LeisurePro allow you to ship via USPS, but they make you tick a box that basically says: "Hey, we recommend that you don't do this, and on your own head be it if the damn thing never turns up."

I don't know if the "they" in this was pointed toward us or LP since the thread is now going back and forth...
I did try to buy one of your $5 dive knives recently (more as an acid test of dealing with ST than anything else), but it wanted me to pay a metric ****load for shipping (UPS Standard Ground $19.25, there didn't seem to be a USPS option) - so I stopped the on-line purchase process and paid $25 at a LDS for the same knife. Now that really sucked, since I know you could just drop the knife in an envelope and send it to me for a couple of bucks.

Generally speaking, I avoid doing business with places that only ship USPS for items that really don't need to ship that way for no good reason - since almost EVERYONE tries to screw people in Alaska on shipping (it's a very comment rant for people up here), I make an extra effort to reward those who don't. Having to call and ask for USPS shipping instead of having it as an option on the website really doesn't cut the mustard, esp. since most of the time I am in the mood to order something it is at the wee hours of the morning when most places are closed.

On a related note - since FedEx and UPS don't deliver to a PO Box, I have to have the packages held at the terminal then go get them - which is just added PITA - so whenever possible, it's just another reason to prefer USPS.

For example, going to Australia - mail can be about half of UPS, but takes a few weeks at times instead of 2-3 days.
And that's just it - most of the time, it could take two months for all I care. It is exceedingly rare that I need something in 2 or 3 days. If I do, I'll just source it locally :)

Yes, we will match any price, or give the 10% off - no problem

Well, not to bang on about it, because it's done and dusted and I ordered elsewhere - but as I previously stated, I sent Joe an e-mail saying that I was a scubaboard.com member, and quoting my scubaboard ID, and there was no offer of any discount

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I am told that if you try to get a battery replacement or a service on a Suunto that was bought on grey market, the store will check it against a database, and if you are not on the white list then they will not do it.

No idea if that is true or not, but my own experience in situations like this is that it is rarely a problem that a couple of Jacksons cannot square away.

My dive shop offered to replace the battery in my Suunto Cobra, that I bought at LeisurePro, for $40, they would order the kit. Then they told me if I didn't want to wait, another dive shop about 5 miles away would do it for $17. Great folks at Coastal Diving in Dania

Well, not to bang on about it, because it's done and dusted and I ordered elsewhere - but as I previously stated, I sent Joe an e-mail saying that I was a scubaboard.com member, and quoting my scubaboard ID, and there was no offer of any discount

Join the SCUBAToys forum and they will also give Gift Certificates towards gear. Any diving relate forum member SpearBoard, SCUBABoard, etc. will get the 10% off. Good deal and S&H in U.S. Normally have to call, but stating forum member in comment section when ordering may also work. I used the $10 GC for some fins and snorkel, and the $50 GC for a wrist dive computer. Still get the 10% off prior to applying the GCs.

Any diving relate forum member SpearBoard, SCUBABoard, etc. will get the 10% off

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I am (obviously) a scubaboard member and was not offered any discount, even when I mentioned the fact that I was an SB member in an e-mail - or am I missing something?

I'm also a registered member of the ST site (and hence their forum) - but didn't realise (read) that I had to post in order to qualify for a discount/GC; so thanks for that info

You have to ask for the discount when you order.

Of course they aren't going to "give" you a discount.... they are in business to make money.

but to be fair, they get crap from the manufacturers if they advertise any discount that goes below MAP. some manufacturers are just real whiney about it. but to be fair to them also, they just react when shops complain about other shops violating the MAP.

Of course Scubatoys has complained about other shops also, just like every other shop has.

Every dive shop out there that doesn't charge MSRP wants to be able to sell for just a little bit lower so they can get your bussiness. I mean they don't just run the dive shop as a hobby.... they are in it to make money. (or hope to make money).

Back
Top Bottom