How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I don't see the point behind going deep just to say, "hey look, I went deep!"

If there is something in particular to see, or something in particular to do, and I had the training and felt comfortable with it - great. But I'm not going down there just to say, "oh look what I can do!"

My answer: 30m - because that's where the wreck was.

200ft off Cayman on Trimix (19/35) with O2 deco.

As stated above the giant sponges are astonishing...

Catching the lights rays down the wall, accenting in a play of blue gray, against the sponges was worth the Helium.

Been to 110 during a cave dive, and hopefully get to dive the oriskany this april, its alittle deeper.

131 ft at Punta Sur in Cozumel - there's a neat point you can stand on and look down into the abyss. That was also the dive I went through the "Devil's throat" an interesting short tunnel that starts around 85 and ends at 110.

I don't see the point to hitting the depths unless the profile calls for it. I don't like going below around 110 because that's where the narcosis starts for me.....

or ride a motorcycle? mountainclimb or bungee? or any other potentially dangerous/life-ending experiences

Lots of different reasons, and its not right for anyone to denigrate anyone else because their reasons arent the same as ones own. The only thing that Should be of concern is whether the individual is wholly cognizant of the increasing risk factors associated with subsequently deeper depths and thier strategies for mitigating/offsetting those risks.

But I could give two shakes as to whether someone thinks my reason/motivation for going deep is "good enough".

(101' @ Gilboa Quarry, dive #48)

110 feet. I am in the group that has no interest in depth for depth sake. My 110 foot dive was fairly boring. My next dive was 75 feet, on a wreck, and spectacular. My favorite dive to date was only 35 feet - in water teeming with fish.

103 ft.
I was chasing an AJ in the October Shootout in Gulf Shores a few weeks back.

190 ft, the pinnacles, saba netherlands antilles. why? because. again? probably not without a good reason.

I'll leave tech diving to people who enjoy all that math and all those decompression stops. I don't. I'd rather spend my time looking around at something besides a dozen dive computers. But all the power to the deep divers. Some of my best friends are tech divers and we simply agree to disagree on what constitutes 'great diving'.
I enjoy the actual diving. Me, my computer and a reliable buddy are all I need.
I too dive to the depth of whatever I'm there to see. My deepest dives were in the 120+ ft range in Chuuk/Truk Micronesia, and even then only because that's where the wrecks were.
Depth for the sake of depth means nothing to me but a shorter dive.

Back
Top Bottom