Tanks for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stormingheaven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the tanks section.

I'm looking at picking up a new tank and after reading here I think I've settled on a steel HP100. I know the cost is much higher than an AL80 but what I've been reading seems to point out that they are well worth the money.

Here's the deal, I have less than 20 dives but there is no doubt that there will be many many more. I'm 6'2" 240lbs, I'll be mostly diving in and around the great lakes. Right now I'm using a 7mm wetsuit and maybe a drysuit later on but I'll see.

So the question is: outside of the cost is there a downside to a newbie with a HP100?

The weight... that too should not be a problem.

The HP100 is a great tank? Although there is different HP100's to look at as well. I found the following website very helpful when determining what tank to buy Dive Rite Express -- How to Select a SCUBA Tank

For the HP100 look at the "Tank Paints, Coatings, and Finishings" section as that will be the biggest difference in the offerings out there (and price).

Overall great tank! Take some weight off the weightbelt and get additional air. They trim out well too on someone your size...

Good lucK!

<snip>.... I have less than 20 dives but there is no doubt that there will be many many more.....

So the question is: outside of the cost is there a downside to a newbie with a HP100?
Just my opinion, but certainly something to think about.... I know lots of divers that own everything BUT a tank (including myself.) The purchase can be pricey but renting is fairly inexpensive. It really depends on how often it will be used. You have to weigh the number of rentals compared to puchase price plus refills...... not to mention, they have to be inspected periodically and eventually, they also "expire." Meaning out of service... no longer useable..... can't get it refilled....In other words, it only lasts a while before it is no longer any good to you.
Now, if you only have 20 dives........ how many different tanks have you tried? Just a suggestion, but I would try a few different ones to see firsthand how comfortable you are with the difference in buoyancy etc.
I have no idea how much rentals are in your neck of the woods but in Florida..... it's pretty cheap compared to ownership unless you dive aLOT. Also, when using a dive op or charter...... tanks (and weights) are usually included in the price of the trip (with an upcharge for enriched air.)

I've looked at the various links posted here regarding steel tanks and they seem like the best choice. I just didn't know if it was worth the money for a newbie.

Just depends on how much use you will get from it. Steel is pretty different from aluminum. The first time I ever used one........ I had the hardest time staying upright. It's tough to dive upside-down! LOL!!

Especially for LP Steel tanks...

I suppose maybe after 50 years? maybe?

I'm looking at picking up a new tank and after reading here I think I've settled on a steel HP100. ... I'm 6'2" 240lbs, I'll be mostly diving in and around the great lakes. Right now I'm using a 7mm wetsuit and maybe a drysuit later on but I'll see.
Very few downsides to a HP steel tank. They are a little more subject to internal rust / corrosion but that is not a problem unless you are continually filling them with moist air (e.g. filling on a dive boat regularly). Some might suggest that you may be difficulty getting them filled to working pressure (3442 psi) at a few shops, although I have never encountered that myself with my older PST steels (3500 psi) anywhere in the SE. As others have noted, steel tanks allow you to take some weight off your waist, compared to AL. And, the 100 trims out nicely for a diver of your size, and provides a little more gas than an AL80. All in all, a very nice tank. I am a little curious about the selection of a HP100 over a HP130, given your size, since you are already making the investment in a steel tank. But, that is not a negative comment on the suitability of the HP100.
Li'l38:
they have to be inspected periodically and eventually, they also "expire." Meaning out of service... no longer useable..... can't get it refilled....In other words, it only lasts a while before it is no longer any good to you.
I am not sure I understand this comment. There is no limit on the number of times a steel tank can be hydro'd (certainly no limit on the number of times one can be VIP'd), as far as I know. In fact, if I was concerned about the longevity of 'fillability' I would probably be more concerned with an AL tank, only because some fill stations seem to have a growing reluctance to fill older AL tanks, even with current hyrdos and VIPs.

Steel 100s are a great choice. Personally I use HP steel 120s (and I am roughly the same build and diving in northern jersey) with a 30CFU Pony. Why so big? Well, eventually when I get to the point for deco diving, I can double my 120s for a really long dive and use the 30 pony as a deco bottle. 120s might be a bit big, but nothing the gym can't fix.

Before you purchase, rent a few different tanks first.

I purchased 2 AL80's. I live a long way from a LDS and the extra time and mileage to get 2 tanks for a weekend dive is very expensive.

The 2 brand new AL80's were less than $200 OTD for both tanks.

After getting my XS HP100 (at 18 dives) I sold my AL80 .. and eventually picked up another HP100 on sale at the LDS (because it was $249 and I had to :wink: )
Li'l38 ... LOL it was so bad on my first dives that I almost sold my tank ... yanno , upside down is a very stable position :laughing:

good points ...
.. having more gas
.. having less lead weight (especially cold water, 7mm wetsuit diving)
.. having own tanks

things to consider ...
.. cost + maintaining
.. more gas can put you close/over NDL
.. trim/stability changes (see above)
.. does this take away from the purchase of other gear (regs, etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom