Key Largo Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the Silent World recommendation... Great staff & boats..

I also recommend the Oceanside Tiki Hut for hanging out and such...

Rented a camper at Bay Cove Motel this past Sun.. Was great to have a bit more room to stretch out in...

Brent and Glen are at Bluewaterdiver.net. They are great. They are at mile marker 100. There are three hotels, several restaurants and dive shops right there. There is even a beverage store. Once you get there you don't need your car for the rest of the time, everything is within walking distance. Talk to Brent he will take good care of you.

I'm in the Keys on a very regular basis, love the area. I prefer Conch Republic to all other operators. After them I use Blue Water Divers, Horizon Divers. Lots of places to stay. Ramada is a great place as well as Marina Del Mar; I'm not fond of the Holiday Inn even though they all have the same owners if I'm not mistaken. Ocean Pointe Suites has dive packages with Conch. There are lots of smaller places to stay if you do the research as well.

Try Quiesences Diving. They will put together a dive/hotel package for you w/ a considerable savings over booking seperately. The Key Largo Resort Holiday Inn being one choice of hotels (very diver friendly). They only use 6-pack boats so you're not on a cattleboat with 20-30 other divers. Dive the Benwood and Duane while you're there.

I am planning a quick trip at the end of April to Key Largo & would love to hear from anyone who has been there. We have never been there. I'll take all the suggestions I can get about dive sites, boats, hotels & restaurants. Please let me know any of your good or not so good experiences. Neil

Here's a fresh thread with lots of good Upper Keys restaurants listed:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/267812-dining-key-largo.html

I have dove with Ocean Divers with my students for over 10 years....they have always been great. Adjacent to OD is Sharky's restaurant...good food and reasonable prices.

Also dove with Scubadoo & SS Minnow...also great people to dive with

Other good restaraunts...Mrs Mac's, Hideaway (off the beaten track near mm 105) & HoJo's.

Inexpensive motels...Hungry Pelican & Sunset Cove

Most of the Dive Ops in the Upper Keys get good reviews. My favorites are Blue Water Divers (Brent/Capt. Marvel), and Conch Republic (Gary/Brenda).

Blue Water does some Northern trips that are worthwhile. Conch does some trips farther south that are also nice. You may want to book a few trips with a N. Dive Op, and one farther south for some variety. All Ops go to the deep wrecks like the Grove/Duane/Bibb but one must be AOW to dive those wrecks, so keep that in mind.

We've stayed at several places. Ocean Point is NICE, but a bit pricey. Casa Del Mar is a bit outdated, but they have a great pool, and maybe it's been updated as it's been a few years since I've stayed there. One can get deals through Brent at Casa DelMar.

Rock Bottom prices can be had a Sunset Inn. The hotel is outdated, but very inexpensive (like $65 a night) and they have a nice pool. However it is a bit farther south, like 10 miles south of Conch Republic, around MM80.

We LOVE the Fish House, and always make a trip there for Dinner. Unfortunately prices have gone up over the years, so for a family of three, it's generally an $80 dinner unless one wants to skimp, and order lite/split meals etc., which is an option.

I would contact ANY dive Op you are considering and discuss what they do, and what you need to bring certification wise to dive the sites you are interested in. The Keys Ops generally require AOW to dive any deep wreck, and many will NOT substitute experience. Funny that as a diver with 1000 dives may get denied on a deep wreck while a diver with 11 dives just AOW certified is good to go....

Good Luck, and enjoy the trip.

Wow. SpearGirl's thread is a great resource for Key's info.
I'm hoping to take my scuba club to Key Largo for spring break (first week of March). There are about six of us committed to going (+instructor, hopefully). Is there anywhere relatively cheap that could accommodate all of us?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom