Looking For Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you like the caribbean area try the Sandals resorts. they have couples only or family type. they all have their own dive boats, on-site shop, and diving is included. my wife and i went to sandals negril twice last year in june and october. weather was nicer in june. she is new to the sport and it gave her a chance for some peaceful "low-impact" dives. it is policy with sandals that all dive parties have a divemaster with them during the dive, they provide the service included. they have great operations and i will definitely be a returning customer. best wishes and dive safe.

I agree with the recommendations for Cozumel - my husband and I went on our first dive trip there and it is great for beginners. Columbia Shallows is one of the best shallow dives anywhere, it is like diving in a coral garden that just goes on and on and on - absolutely beautiful. When you get a little more experience Columbia Deep is equally awesome. Bonaire also has a lot of easy dives and is great for beginners but you definitely get more bang for your buck in Cozumel.

Most places in the Caribbean will be divable at your level of experience, However, I think bonaire will more likely give you fun dives within your comfort level. ItÃÔ been my experience that you get good weather, warm water, mild current & calm seas relatively consistently in Bonaire. Wherever you go, have a great trip and discuss any doubts about your abilities (if any) with your dive master beforehand.

What part of Tennessee?

I have been on Curacao recently and found it very easy to dive there. I just did my OWD two months before and had only 5 dives when I went to Curacao - and I couldnt have done better. Conditions are great, you enjoy great liberty and the island is beautiful!

You can see pics and divesite descriptions at my homepage www.puertoricanrum.com!

Have fun & lots of bubbles!

I would recommend either Bonnaire or Cozumel. Bonnaire has many dives under 60' and the diving is good. I love Coz (been there 4 times) and would recommend it. I and three of my kids took our first dives there. I would recommend Luis Cabanas of Adventure Discover (Cozumel - Cozumel Diving / Cozumel Dive Shops / Adventure Discovery - Luis Cabañas). We used him on all 4 of our dive trips. He is very safety conscious, helpful, and has made thousands of dives on the reefs. He will guide you to the best that can be found on the reefs. I also use Bay Adventures to arrange my trips (Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483). They have very good prices and offer great service. Their pacakages also include diving but we always get a quote without the diving and make our own arrangements with Luis.

For a really exotic trip, I would recommend Fiji. We traveled to Beqa Lagoon in 2007 and stayed at the Beqa Lagoon Resort. The diving was very easy, most were shallow, (although there were two of our 20 dives that did have current) and the color of the corals, variety of the fish life, and the shark dive were incredible.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill

My husband and I just got back from the Keys, and we loved it. We're both new divers and what you describe is exactly why we chose the Keys. Shallower sites with lots to see. Around Key Largo and the Pennecamp State Park area all of the reef sites are under 40 feet or so. Silent World is the dive shop we went with - smaller boats, good service, would definitely recommend them.

We're already hoping to go back!

There's also a History of Diving Museum just a few miles down the road from Key Largo, and plenty of other stuff to do in your non-dive time. I think next time we'll take kiteboarding lessons and use that to occupy our no-fly time. This time we rented a jetski and discovered that if you really needed to clear your sinuses for a dive, a 30 mph face-plant into the Atlantic will give you an unforgettable saline rinse that works better than any drug. :wink:

Medicjojo,

Bonaire, Curacao, and Grand Cayman would be at the top of my list for Caribbean beginner diver sites. I'm sure Cozumel would work out fine but would guess that the drift dives may be more appreciated by divers with a bit more experience. The Florida Keys reefs also make for great beginner dives.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom