Looking For Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do NOT go to Bonaire first! The reefs are so good that it will spoil the rest of the Carib for you.

An added bonus of diving at Cozumel is that after doing some ocean dives in 80 degree water with 100 feet vis is that you can go for a Cenote (underwater cavern) dive. You only need a basic scuba certification to go on a guided tour and it's an incredible experience.

- Chris

Clarksville 45min west of Nashville.

Clarksville 45min west of Nashville.

Then you are familiar with MTSS. If not, check out their website for a list of divetrips scheduled. I have not been on a trip with them but they do offer trips to great locations.

I'm in a similar position as the OP: a new diver looking for sites but with the added wrinkle of working on a fairly right budget. Is Cozumel definitely the place to go for affordable dives (outside of the Keys)? Or can you get good deals in other places like Bonaire, Grand Cayman, etc?

Key Largo, Bonaire, Cozumel. All good.

In my opinion, Cozumel is the best diving for the leasy amount of money. We have always used Bay Adventures at Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483 and have always gotten a great price and good service. For places to stay, i would recommend that you visit this website: Cozumel Hotels: Read Cozumel Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor. Click on any hotel/resort and read reviews from people that have stayed there. We have stayed at the Fiesta Americana and have been very pleased. I would also suggest that you select an all-inclusive meal package. Although the food is not great, the cost you save in drinks is worth the meal package.

We always used a local dive guide, Luis Cabannas (Cozumel - Cozumel Diving / Cozumel Dive Shops / Adventure Discovery - Luis Cabañas). He was my family's dive guide on our first dive trip and he was great. He knows the reefs, finds the critters for you and is very safety conscious. We have used him on all four of our trips to Coz.

If you have any questions, email me at jamescrw6@verizon.net

regards,

Bill

I went to Paradise Island, Bahamas last summer and did the whole Stuart's Cove thing. Since i'm still new to diving I wasn't able to do the wreck dive, but the dive was still nice.

The only complaint I had was it was a semi large group so on the first dive they had to get everyone situated and so our bottom time wasn't very long. The second dive we were able to stay out a lot longer and it was fairly shallow. The second site was where my dive buddy and I swam about 10 yards from a carribean reef shark :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom