Diving with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn't mention what type of contact lenses you have, but I'll be happy to share my own experience.

For years I was afraid to wear and thus possibly lose my very expensive and hard to obtain soft contact lenses underwater. I had the eye doctor make up a prescription mask which I used quite successfully for several years.

Technology progressed eventually allowing me to start wearing soft disposable lenses so I didn't have the fear of losing them as they were quite easy to replace (it's a Bausch & Lomb toric lens). Since then I've been diving quite comfortably with the soft lenses but bring spare lenses as well as the old prescription mask with me when I'm diving.

I have not experienced the new onset photsensitivity that you've described. BUT, my husband has, and his own experience might be of interest. He has the hard, gas permeable lenses and initially he did very well with them in the water. Then he started noticing a creeping onset and increased photsensitivity and went to the eye doctor for an evaluation.

I was concerned that he might have scratches on the lenses themselves causing an increased tearing and sense of irritation, and that this in turn might be causing him to experience micro-abrasions of the cornea (the exterior surface of the eye).

It turned out that the problem was in fact a new eye solution product he'd changed to in the weeks leading up to his mentioning his symptoms to me. The lens solution was leaving a small, but increasing chemical and protein deposit on the surface of the lens. These deposits were so stubborn that they required the eye doctor to strip and polish the lenses to get it off. (My husband had previously tried to use a standard OTC lens cleaner he'd purchased on his own with no success).

Since then my husband has had no further photosensitivity and he is now extremely careful about the specific eye product labels of the lens solutions that he purchases.

So you might want to try out a few of the OTC cleaners available to clean your lenses at home. It's certainly an easy first step to take. But if the problem persists, I'd strongly suggest that you find your way to an eye doctor for an exam. Very precious commodity, our eyesight.

Cereza once bubbled...
I work for an optometrist; one of the first things that we tell people who start wearing contacts is that they will be more sensitive to light. I also wear contacts when diving, I have experienced some light sensitive but it’s usually when I am coming out of darker water when it happens. But my daughter also experiences sensitivity but she chooses not to wear her contacts under water.

Cherry

Very interesting, I have worn contacts for 20 years, and my eyes have become extremely light sensitive. What causes this? Is it the contacts themselves or a change in the eye? If I stop wearing contacts will it get better?

Thanks!

Wow this Orthokeratology - Ortho-K thing looks interesting thanks for all the reply's.
I wear Focus night and day soft lenses (1 month disposable). Here is the outcome of my problem. I have developed a condition called iritis (inflamation of the iris?) It may have been caused by me scratching my cornea a while ago and then wearing contacts/diving afterwards. The optomitrist says the diving and contacts may have agrivated the injury and made it worse. I now have a small invasion of white blood cells inside my eye which is going away with the help of antibiotics and anti-inflamitories. The symptoms were severe photosensitivity, red bloodshot eye, itchyness, tearing, and blurry vision. I am beached until next week when I have an appointment with the doc to okay me to dive again.
I'm still looking for any data or reasearch that has been done on the actual physics/physiology of gas permiable lenses and elevated ppo2 levels while diving.
Thanks again for all the responses.

Glad to hear about your positive experience diving with soft contact lenses. I wear daily disposables and I was hoping that it would be OK to dive with them (I will be learning this August).

JudeB

sharkmasterb:
Has anyone ever experianced problems while diving with lenses.
My friends tell me just to go to the eye doc but I am quite reluctant for reasons I would rather not get into. Maybe I should just pay the $ and get a pers. mask.

I wore contact lenses for years and never had any problems or increase in photosensitivity diving with them...jet and water skiing were another issue though -- I could go through a few pair a day because of loss...

...but here's my question to you, have you considered LASIK? I had it done a few years ago and 'Mother Mary said it was a miracle!' It's not without complications for some people, but I am so glad I had it done. It gives you a sense of freedom that you don't have when your dependent on glasses or contact lenses to see. I would do it ten times over if I had to...

Check out this thread, you'll find a lot of good information if your interested: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=47429&referrerid=19226

I dive w/ soft lens all the time, I cant stand not being able to see. The only problem I've had is w/ allergies and having watery eyes and losing the contact or being very dry and losing my contact or it even shifting. Other than that, it hasnt been directly diving related. I also swim w/ my contacts and havent lost any while opening my eyes in pool water without a mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom