Diving with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkmasterb

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experianced problems while diving with lenses.
Lately I have been quite photosensetive after diving with my lenses ? Is there any research/imperical data on what actually happens with a higher ppo2 regarding gas diffusion through the lens and into your eyes ?
My friends tell me just to go to the eye doc but I am quite reluctant for reasons I would rather not get into. Maybe I should just pay the $ and get a pers. mask.

I've been diving with soft contacts for 13 years now and never experienced any problems. Could it be that it is the change from the dark water to the bright surface that makes your eyes more sensitive? Like driving in a long dark tunnel and suddenly exiting in the bright sun.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I work for an optometrist; one of the first things that we tell people who start wearing contacts is that they will be more sensitive to light. I also wear contacts when diving, I have experienced some light sensitive but it’s usually when I am coming out of darker water when it happens. But my daughter also experiences sensitivity but she chooses not to wear her contacts under water.

Cherry

Cereza once bubbled...
I work for an optometrist; one of the first things that we tell people who start wearing contacts is that they will be more sensitive to light. I also wear contacts when diving, I have experienced some light sensitive but it’s usually when I am coming out of darker water when it happens. But my daughter also experiences sensitivity but she chooses not to wear her contacts under water.

Cherry

Absoulutely correct from my experience. I have been wearing contacts for over 30 years and my eyes have become more sensitive to light. Anytime I'm outside I have to wear sunglasses which is no big deal. Been diving for several years and have never had a problem with my contacts. I have been using a high volume mask with a purge since the salt water really burns my eyes but in 2 weeks I am finally having lasik surgery and I won't have to deal with that anymore.

I've never noticed the photosensitivity, but then again, when I dive its usually quite bright FL sun and anything outside of shade of some sort is bright. Could it be that the photosensitivity is from lower light conditions and the pupils opening up to see in the low light?

One thing I did notice drying of my eyes. I've switched to one called Night & Day and thats helped that by leaps and bounds.

sharkmasterb once bubbled...
Has anyone ever experianced problems while diving with lenses.
Lately I have been quite photosensetive after diving with my lenses ? Is there any research/imperical data on what actually happens with a higher ppo2 regarding gas diffusion through the lens and into your eyes ?
My friends tell me just to go to the eye doc but I am quite reluctant for reasons I would rather not get into. Maybe I should just pay the $ and get a pers. mask.

I wear soft contacts and dive with them regularly. I've never had problems with them and have even had my mask off without loosing them. I do, however, keep my glasses in my gear bag just in case! :wink:

I'm from Italy and I find it hard to believe that you do not know anything about Ortho-K...

Try to follow this link...

http://www.ortho-k.net/

I have got only 13 dives under my belt but everyhting went extremely well with my eyes...

I have to admit the this kind of lenses are not very confortable to wear but once you start to sleep you do not even feel them...

I put them on at about 23:00 PM and take them out at 7:30 AM and for the rest of the day I can see like an eagle...

Sorry for my bad english...

If you need further info just let me know...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso (Erik The Red)

Never had a problem with diving and photosensitivity but I certain am more sensitive to light than without lenses.

Makes driving at night hell!!!

If I were at that point I might consider a perscription mask as I'm at the point of putting on a pair of glasses at night!

My contact lenses have a UV protective coating on them. I was photosensitive till then, now it's no worries.

Back
Top Bottom