Can someone recommend a place to do Advance OW in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was traveling...To answer your question about Aqua Safari experience & profiles:

Yes, I continue to dive with them.

All of the dives are planned as multi-levels -- there are no square profiles. If you have a computer, you're encouraged to monitor it and stay within sight of the group rather than time off the levels on a watch or plan the times with a wheel. (They give you those times during the briefing.) Since they usually use two divemasters -- one as lead and one as sweep -- the divers may spread over a fairly long distance and enjoy leisurely tours. At sites like Tormentos, Paso del Cedral, Chankanaab and a few others, it's possible to fully explore as buddy pairs -- just don't pass the lead DM and stay aware of where your group-mates are so that you don't get lost.

You must understand that the DM's are planning the dives as well as the length of the SI for a GROUP and that if you stay too deep on your first dive, the SI won't be long enough for you and you may have significant bottom time and/or depth penalties during your second tank.

I don't spend much time as deep as 80 on the first tank but I'm usually first to descend and last to go up and toward the end of the second tank, I end with a minute of dive time left -- maybe...

They ask that you limit depth to 80' during the first tank. If you see something really interesting at 85 or 90, no one's going to get upset if you momentarily descend and look, but you shouldn't sink like a stone to that depth and stay there. Generally on first-tank sites, there is nothing at 90 or 100 that you can't see at 70.

As far as dive times go, they are generally an hour per tank depending on conditions, of course. The first tank may be a little shorter and the second tank a little longer but air is usually the limiting factor for many divers. As SOP for most ops in Coz, low-air divers ascend with their buddies in proximity to the DM's bouy and everyone else continues the dive.

Last year I went through Dive Paradise to complete my AOW. Personally, it was a great experience and our instructors were professional, through and patient. We were with a booked group through our LDS, although only 2 of us were actually doing our AOW. The 2 of us had great attention from our instuctors (seperate from the rest of our group). The rest of the time we were enjoying our dives with the group and found the DM's and boat crew competent. We always felt safe with them. We were on one of the "slow" boats but never felt compromised in time and they seem to have more space. That being said, I don't know if our service was better because we were with a pre-booked group, I'd like to think not, but maybe so. We didn't have any complaints, loved our DM's and boat crew so much we've booked another trip with them. That's just my little fyi. Whoever you go with, I wish you the best. Cozumel is a small patch of heaven on earth and a fabulous place to do your AOW! Enjoy and cheers to you!

CORRECTION TO MY ORIGINAL POST

Since I took my course some years ago, I double-checked with Aqua Safari about what they currently offer. The course price includes 1 day (2 tanks) of boat diving. The other day is from shore -- perfect for PP bouyancy, UW naturalist (see the seahorse), photography (shoot the seahorse), navigation (find the seahorse) and some other electives.

You can opt for all boat dives at the standard 2-tank rate but I'd recommend taking the course as offered since the shore diving off that pier is kinda neat, especially if the seahorse is still there!

Large number of negative reviews (of at least one of their DM) seriously bothers me about Aldora. Please report back once you're done.

Just curious, Which dive master?
Where do you get review information (chapbook)? Dive masters come and go. It's possible the DM in question might have gone.
I've had nothing but good experiences with Aldora.
Sorry to hear some have not.
Have a great trip!

We've spent half our current dive week with Aldora and I am not sure I will require any more searching for the perfect dive op. We experienced three different DM's, all of which were excellent and two of which were trully outstanding. I mean over the top, unbelievably outstanding. I have certainly not tried all of the dive ops in Coz though, so I leave the possibility open that there might be better out there but from those I've experienced:

Aldora
Dive with Martin
Dressel
Blue XT Sea

I would put Aldora head and shoulders above the rest. Every diver is looking for something different in a dive op, and not every outfit is going to give that...so reviews are highly subjective. Still, without my asking, Tonia said after her Aldora dives that they were easily the best we have gone with and the runner up (Dive with Martin) is a distant second. I have to say I agree with her completely, though I would add that Dive with Martin really was quite good too...it's just that Aldora was just on another level entirely. Their boats are far and away better than the others, their DM's give personal service a new level and the bottom times are outstanding. I will be doing my AOW with Aldora on the next trip. This trip's dives are over....by this time tomorrow we will be boarding the plane home. :(

I would be interested in reading the review site that was referred to earlier. We certainly didn't experience all of Aldora's DM's and if there is one to avoid, I would like to have that knowledge for the future. Javier, and Gustav were simply outstanding. Gustav in particular. There was another, but I can't pull his name from memory...must be all that nitrogen from this morning's two and half hours of bottom time (2 tanks)...neither of which was under 1000psi when I entered the boat. I do, sooooo love those 120's.

Last edited:
Just curious, Which dive master?
Where do you get review information (chapbook)? Dive masters come and go. It's possible the DM in question might have gone.
I've had nothing but good experiences with Aldora.
Sorry to hear some have not.
Have a great trip!

I think it was Edgar...

Different strokes for different folks...

My buddy and I made a special request this year to dive all week with Edgar after the great time we had with him last year.

I wonder what issues came up and would be interested in reading the review...

Sometimes people just don't get along.

Go with Autro @ Christi's, Well educated, Knowledgeable, & just a good person.

Regards ,BOSCO

I did my Advanced with Ricardo at Aqua Safari and it was an excellent one on one experience. I plan to go back and continue to do more courses with Aqua Safari as I believe that both Ricardo and Gabriel are two of the best and safest instructor's that I have dived with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom