Can someone recommend a place to do Advance OW in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone please recommend a place to do Advanced OW course in Cozumel? I realize there are many dive ops on the island and most do PADI AOW certification - how do I choose? We prefer:

1. Less people in the boat - personal attention (although that is probably included when taking a course)
2. Diving computer profiles
3. Place that can pick up at Casa Mexicana (I understand not every op can pick up at the town pier)

Also - is there any classroom work for AOW? Thanks!

PS. At this point I narrowed the list down to the following:

1. Aqua Safari
2. Dive with Martin (although no pickup for us)
3. BlueXTSea (way more expensive than others)
4. Aldora
5. Dive Paradize (they are the cheapest but I am not certain about that place after reading all the negative comments here and on TA).

Last edited:
Michael and I completed our AOW with BlueXTSea Diving. Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico. The study material was shipped to us in advance which gave us the opportunity to complete the written work. There is minimal classroom time involved for AOW and I recall briefly meeting twice. First to hand in our chapter reviews and then to sign off the paperwork at the end. Otherwise, AOW consisted of completing the required skill reviews by our instructor, who, in our case was Arturo. Arturo I might add is an excellent instructor, very patient and professional. All skill review dives were done off the boat. Michael and I also completed Nitrox certification at the same time for which there is a required video and test. However, the time applied was not inconvenient at all.

Blue XT SEA also picks up at the town pier and is just around the corner, within easy walking distance, from Casa Mexicana.

As you already know, there are many Dive Ops/Instructors to choose from. Regardless of who you ultimately choose, make sure to ask all of your questions directly to confirm before booking your diving plans. Most importantly, enjoy your AOW certification and have a wonderful time. Sue

Can someone please recommend a place to do Advanced OW course in Cozumel? I realize there are many dive ops on the island and most do PADI AOW certification - how do I choose? We prefer:

1. Less people in the boat - personal attention (although that is probably included when taking a course)
2. Diving computer profiles
3. Place that can pick up at Casa Mexicana (I understand not every op can pick up at the town pier)

Also - is there any classroom work for AOW? Thanks!

PS. At this point I narrowed the list down to the following:

1. Aqua Safari
2. Dive with Martin (although no pickup for us)
3. BlueXTSea (way more expensive than others)
4. Aldora
5. Dive Paradize (they are the cheapest but I am not certain about that place after reading all the negative comments here and on TA).

Andre,

Please also make sure that you're comparing what is included. Some of the less expensive options do not include five boat dives, equipment, etc.

My kids (12 & 15) and I (Husband is already AOW) will be getting AOW certs from BlueXTsea in two weeks so we can definetly give you our opinions after that. We priced out other dive shops, but liked what Christi's shop offered as a complete package. Small boats, taking care of the gear, etc. etc. etc.

We did get the books in advance, (We only got two books for three people so I am not sure how handing in the tests will work out...) and have reviewed what "adventure dives" we might do, plus some of the other more interesting sections in the book. Lots of great info!

Our nitrox certification will be our next step. Not sure if we should do it at the same time as the AOW, but we will definetly do it at some point in the near future.

Took my AOW with Aldora a couple of years ago. Good service, good instructor, etc. Instructor took the time to review a few things I had a little trouble with, was willing to do a dive again for me to get more practice(navigation).

You have several good shops listed, but my vote would be Aldora.

Took my AOW with Aldora a couple of years ago. Good service, good instructor, etc. Instructor took the time to review a few things I had a little trouble with, was willing to do a dive again for me to get more practice(navigation).

You have several good shops listed, but my vote would be Aldora.

X2 for Aldora.
I did a NITROX referal a few years back with them (Mateo @ Aldora). Did AOW and Rescue Diver with them last year in one trip. You can get your supplies/books at your home dive shop... Hit the books, then bring your completed knowledge reviews to Coz. Memo @ Aldora can tell you what you need to buy. You will probably have either Mateo or Liang be your instructor. Mateo gave me my AOW and Liang did the rescue portion. Both of them are very good Instructors. They made me work for it. The certifications are not just handed out because you signed up. You will learn new things.

I was trained at Aqua Safari by Ricardo Gutierrez and highly recommend him as a serious, creative and intuitive instructor. There was some classroom and a lot independent reading. As I was the only AOW student, it was one-on-one instruction and I suspect that you will be only students as well. Price included all equipment, materials and dives. Dives were all from a boat except peak performance bouyancy which was done from shore because of repetitive exercises & surface discussions between. The instructor and I hardly noticed the other people on the boat because we were up top and engaged in conversation. Our dives were separate from the group's so I can't even tell you how many other divers were there! Multilevel planning & computer use were subjects that I chose to cover and all sections of the course built on one another as it went along. Their pier is basically across the street from Casa Mexicana.

Whomever you choose, choose your coursework wisely. List the topics you want to cover and techniques you want to work on -- be it learning how to take steady open water safety stops or a try at photography. Don't settle for boat, drift, etc. as there is much else to get from AOW training and those subjects are freebies in Coz.

Good luck, have fun.

Although I didn't do any course work there (I've only been diving there) 2 of my friends went to Blue Magic Scuba recently - one for Open Water Referral, the other for Advanced Diver. It was on my suggestion that they try them. They were very happy, and since there were 2 of them, apparently the price was right too. They loved their instructor (Gabriel, I think?) and came back with a glowing report. Like I said, I've only been diving with them, but I had a terrific time and can't wait to go back! Talk to (or e-mail) a few operators and then decide who you like corresponding with, who sounds like they really want to do a good job for you. You have many recommendations to try from us; now, it's up to you to see who will go the extra mile for you. Good luck and have fun!

X2 for Aldora.
I did a NITROX referal a few years back with them (Mateo @ Aldora). Did AOW and Rescue Diver with them last year in one trip. You can get your supplies/books at your home dive shop... Hit the books, then bring your completed knowledge reviews to Coz. Memo @ Aldora can tell you what you need to buy. You will probably have either Mateo or Liang be your instructor. Mateo gave me my AOW and Liang did the rescue portion. Both of them are very good Instructors. They made me work for it. The certifications are not just handed out because you signed up. You will learn new things.

Thanks for your recommendation. Do you recall what exactly was included into their AOW fee? Their site does not seem to have any details other than the price list (i.e. what dives are included/any night dives/is equipment included?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom