Smart Com vs Cobra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

protrainerusa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I were certified about a month ago and are venturing into the expensive world of gear purchasing. I am looking at 2 computers, the first is the Cobra 2 which I like based on its small size; however, I don't like the digital compass and don't want to spend all of my bottom time pressing buttons to get info. I am leaning toward the Smart Com, even though it seems huge, because I like an actual compass and it appears that all info is right there in the large display. Any thoughts, suggestions, help?

I dive a SmartCom at work and its a good computer. There is a pretty high failure rate of the SmartCom units according to some threads that I have read on this forum. Luckily, although we havent had any problems,... alot of people have. One downside of the Smartcom is that the battery isnt user replaceable. You have to send it in to UWATEC and wait for them to return it. I have a buddy who dives the Cobra2 and he states that the digital compass on it can be annoying at times. I also bought an Aeris Atmos AI unit and I love it. Its a fairly small unit, much smaller than the smartcom. It has great software for downloading your dives but so does the smartcom. The Atmos AI also has user replaceable batteries, which is a plus in my opinion. You will also find that the Aeris computer tend to be a little more liberal and the SmartCom about middle of the road and the Cobra2 to be the most conservative of the bunch, but you can also set the smartcom and the Atmos to be more conservative if you wish. I bought my Atmos AI at Scubatoys.com with a quick detach hose and a compass added on the console and the price was much lower than we paid for my smartcom.b Bottom line is that if I were shelling out my hard cash for another air intergrated computer I would buy another Atmos AI. I hope all this rambling helped somewhat.

Johnny M

I have used a smartcom for quite a few years now and quite like it for precisely that reason that all the necessary information is on the one screen, I used to have an oceanic datamaster and you had to wait for a secondary screen to appear whch I found annoying. My wife had apro plus and I think she had to press a button to get to the secondary screen.

I have not had any problems with it although I have heard some people have (my wife has a smartcom also and that was replaced after 10 dives, but has not been a problem since)

It is also nitrox compatible which seems to the next step for a lot of divers.

It is quite an easy computer to learn and use.

I cant comment on the cobra as I know nothing abou it

The Cobra 2 is a nice computer, albeit conservative. I had two of them. Just sold one and got a Cobra 3. I never cared much for the digital compass in the Cobra 2, and I use a Suunto SK7 on a retractor mount for navigation purposes and use the Cobra as a computer. The Cobra2 allows you to adjust the RGBM algorithm to be somewhat less conservative, but even then it is more conservative than computers in the Pelagic family (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, etc).

There's nothing inherently wrong with a computer being conservative, except that it can limit your dive time, especially on multiple dives. A little extra safety margin can't hurt you.

The Cobra2 also allows you to change gasses (up to 3 mixes) during your dive. Not sure if that is a feature of value to you. (I've never used that feature).

The battery on the Cobra2 and Cobra3 are user-changeable. At one time - at least for the Cobra 2, Aqualung was offering 3 free battery kits when you purchased the computer. This is something to ask your dealer about whether it is still offered. You have to make sure your dealer registers the computer and requests the battery coupons.

All in all, it's a good, solid computer but I wouldnt buy it for the compass feature.
(now the Cobra 3 has a compass that is much easier to use under water - it allows about 45 degrees of tilt and still works and has a variable timer as to how long the compass display stays on).

The Cobra 2 is a nice computer, albeit conservative. I had two of them. Just sold one and got a Cobra 3. I never cared much for the digital compass in the Cobra 2, and I use a Suunto SK7 on a retractor mount for navigation purposes and use the Cobra as a computer. The Cobra2 allows you to adjust the RGBM algorithm to be somewhat less conservative, but even then it is more conservative than computers in the Pelagic family (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, etc).

There's nothing inherently wrong with a computer being conservative, except that it can limit your dive time, especially on multiple dives. A little extra safety margin can't hurt you.

The Cobra2 also allows you to change gasses (up to 3 mixes) during your dive. Not sure if that is a feature of value to you. (I've never used that feature).

The battery on the Cobra2 and Cobra3 are user-changeable. At one time - at least for the Cobra 2, Aqualung was offering 3 free battery kits when you purchased the computer. This is something to ask your dealer about whether it is still offered. You have to make sure your dealer registers the computer and requests the battery coupons.

All in all, it's a good, solid computer but I wouldnt buy it for the compass feature.
(now the Cobra 3 has a compass that is much easier to use under water - it allows about 45 degrees of tilt and still works and has a variable timer as to how long the compass display stays on).

I was also interested in the Cobra 3 and was curious about the digital compass. With the digital compass in the Cobra 3 do you still find the need to use the analog compass for navigation? Is there a way to mount an analog compass on the Cobra 3?

Adam

Hi Protrainerusa,

If you've decided on a console, air integrated computer, I would take a look at the Pelagic Pressure Systems computers (Oceanic Pro Plus 2, Aeris Atmos, Sherwood Wisdom 2) in additon to the Suunto and Uwatec models you listed. There's also the Mares Nemo Air.

I had an Oceanic Pro Plus for many years, now have a Pro Plus 2. I like it very much including the liberal algorithm. As has been frequently pointed out, it's easy to dive a liberal computer more conservatively, not much to be done with a very conservative one.

Not to increase the complexity of your decision. but I will likely go to a hoseless wrist AI computer next time around, have you considered that route? Good luck in your decision making.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will pass on the smart com as the number of failures is reason for concern. I am now leaning toward the cobra 2 with an added compass; however, being a newly certified, I am thinking of possibly spending far less on a wrist computer that is not air integrated (wireless scares me as I see how quirky my computer router is). Although LP has the cobra 2 with Suunto compass for under $550.

I would recommend that you spring for the extra cash and get an air integrated computer. I do a lot of photography in relatively shallow water (50-60ft) and the vast majority of time I am limited by air, and not the no-deco limits. Having the air pressure and remaining air time is very useful. I the Cobra 2 and love it. The only time it is an issue is when I am on a liveaboard and doing a lot of dives in a short period of time. In these cases I dive Nitrox so having a conservative computer doesn't limit my dives appreciably.

I also have the external compass and and less than thrilled with it. Although Suunto has a great reputation for compasses, I am on compass #4. The three previous ones all developed leaks. The symptom is a bubble (or water intrusion) that causes the card to stick. I always clip my computer and never let it drag, so I don't think I am damaging it. Maybe I am just unlucky.

I was also interested in the Cobra 3 and was curious about the digital compass. With the digital compass in the Cobra 3 do you still find the need to use the analog compass for navigation? Is there a way to mount an analog compass on the Cobra 3?

Adam

Yes, you can still mount the Cobra I analog compass on the cobra 3. I do a lot of lake diving often look at my compass many times per dive. I prefer being able to quickly glance down and check my compass without pushing any buttons. I do like the electronic compass on dives, such as Cozumel, when I rarely look it. This allows the reduced size of the Cobra 3 but I still have a compass if I need it.

I have a Cobra (original version) and have just dived with Suunto's new Vyper Air on a trip to the Florida Keys.

The Vyper is wrist mounted with a transmitter screwed into the regulator high pressure port. I like the Vyper MUCH better. One less hose. Transmitter worked flawlessly (right out of the box it locked onto the computer and they communicated beautifully). Numbers and text on the screen are bolder and bigger. The backlight is brighter and it's duration can be changed. You can do "gas switching" so a series of dives gives you the freedom to change between a Nitrox blend or regular air (no tri-mix). But the main reason I bought the Vyper is it's wrist mounted. I can see it much easier than yanking on a tethered computer. I wear a prescription lens dive mask, so this makes a world of difference for me as I can just raise my wrist to monitor air/depth/time.

The Suunto - compass(s): The electronic compass in the Cobra 2/3 and Vyper Air is "okay" for general bearings. Anyone serious about underwater navigation will want a standard analog compass with number headings. The electronic compass did come in handy for rough headings to identify currents, the way a reef ran, and a general direction back to the boat. And it was pretty easy to turn on and off once you did it a couple of times. But, I have used a Suunto SK7 mounted on the Cobra and will still carry one, now just attached onto a D-ring. This same SK7 can be attached to the newer Cobra 2 and 3 computers, I think - but check with a dealer to be sure.

Suunto batteries: They've been easy to change on the Cobra. The same battery (#2450) is used in the Vyper Air and all Cobra models. Suunto even has a video online if you want to see how it's done. Battery kits run about $15-$18 and include a new 0-ring. Take your time and make sure the 0-ring slides into the groove of the outer cover properly.

Hope this helps. Buy the Cobra 3 over the 2 if you prefer the security of a hose attachment. If you want to consider a wrist mount (for a bit more money) I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Vyper Air. I really like mine after using the Cobra for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom