Smart Com vs Cobra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like my smartcoms but I would have to say get a cobra. I have had to return 4 smartcom and my dad 3 in the last 4 years. And this last weekend my smartcom screwed up again. So it looks like I will be going on vacation next Saturday relying on my suunto Mosquito or getting a loaner Cobra from a buddy.

I have a Galileo Sol on layaway but until i pay it off I bought a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 that i just love!! Nice big letters and numbers for my old eyes and very easy to use. I was going to get rid of it but I think I will keep it as I pay off my Galileo next month, yea!!!!

Go with the Cobra 1 and get the SK7 compass. its a very cool computer

I call scubapro today and they told me to send them computer along with letter abotu all problems I have had. I am sure they will just send me another computer but hopefully this time it will last a little longer before I have problems.

I have been diving with a Cobra 2 for about a year now and find the digital compass hard to use. The leveling aspect is the principal problem (that has supposedly been fixed in the Cobra 3). One can mount the SK7 compass on the Cobra 2 (it fits), but the magnet in the SK7 renders the digital compass useless (not that it matters once you have given up on it).

I use the Cobra 3, the nice thing about the digital compass is that you can recalibrate it when you move to different compass zones. The compass on the 3 is far superior to the original cobra and cobra2 and works at a tilt of 45 degrees. For these reasons, the any zone capability and the immunity from tilt, I far prefer it to a mechanical compass. I have moved 1 zone and find my SK7 sticks and I just cant get it at the exact tilt to read it effectively. Don't buy a Cobra 2 now the 3 is about $100.00 more and worth it. If you really like the mechanical compass it can be attached to the console or you could wear one on your wrist at home, and when you travel you could use the digital one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom