Numbers for the Thunderbolt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick post script here. Thanks for everyone's replies. We dove the T-bolt about 2 weeks ago. Speargirls numbers were the first we tried and they were pretty much dead on. I was lucky we were in a big boat because the seas were running 5-6'. I didn't think we'd have much luck locating submerged balls in that kind of a sea but oddly they're almost lit up blue white and extremely visible when you get close. They were deeper than we thought, more like 20-25' and it was a struggle getting tied in.
It's really a great dive. You can tell it doesn't get lots of traffic from the amount of growth on it. There was a large very friendly jewfish roaming around who came right up to us. Had a drive by from a couple of large blacktip's who took a look, showed us how big they were and then took off.
It really is a nitrox dive with the deck as deep as it is. We were being hosted by the brother of a buddy who's not much of a diver and he arranged for the air so we can't complain. Just would have been nice to get a little more bottom time.
So thanks for everyone for the info.
Drew

I just checked out the profile from my dives in 2007 and there was a three minute hang at about 18-20 feet. (I know I was at or JUST below the mooring ball because on both dives we were watching a remora trying to latch on to it)

The OP I was with sent a guy down with a pony bottle to tie in, Once he was there he left the bottle as a contingency gas and swam back up. Then after the second dive he brought the pony back with him after un hooking....pretty nifty!

Great dive! I'm hoping to get back on it in October when I'm back down!

I'm wondering if he updated the numbers in a "more recent" version of the book that I have. we used the numbers in the Ned DeLoach Underwater Florida book to try to find it a couple years ago and could never find it.

never saw any buoys (submerged or other) and never found it on the depth finder running figure 8's all over the site.

(note: I've got either the 9th or 10th edition book. he's on 11th edition now I think).

Those numbers are from a LORAN conversion from when it was originally sunk, and that's how many of the older sites were captured. Many of the Monroe County sites are not very accurate (i.e., LORAN conversions) at all because of the fuzzy TDs down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom