No green card = no lobster permit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a trip to the coast of Maine and you can get them cheaper than 10 bucks a pound. Scallops seem to be a bigger bang for the buck than lobster. Either way, they're both tasty...

I feel the need to express an opinion,

Thank God the government of Mass is protecting us (well, our lobsters anyway) from those damn Belgium immigrants, with their waffles and tasty ales brewed in monasteries by monks that look a lot like Friar Tuck from Robin Hood and their Jean Claude Van Damns.

C. Non-U.S. Citizens who are residents of the Commonwealth shall:
1. Provide a copy of applicant alien registration receipt card issued by the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.

i don't think this means you need a green card. there are other types of alien registration receipts, such as an H, L, O, P, or Q visa. these should count as "alien registration"

in other words, you're not here illegally. you've registered with the US government

Now you got to tell me where I can find that price ! I would drive to get that ;o) My local supermarket is charging 9.99 a pound for chicken size... and you have no clue how long they have been in there...

9.99 a lb for a chicken?! wow... the key is to get them straight from the docks, I suppose that the 3.75 was a bit misleading as that's what the lobstermen are getting selling them wholesale up in Gloucester.

They are only getting $3.25 in eastern Maine. The trick to getting the deal is either finding a way to get them right off the boat or buy them from the same dock the guys sell them to. Cut out the middle man. I have to admit I am surprised Mass. wouldn't allow you a permit, but if you have lived there any length of time the clerk's attitude should not have been a surprise. :)
At least you guys can take them down there, and free scallops? I heard they just jacked the permit cost way up here is ME.

i don't think this means you need a green card. there are other types of alien registration receipts, such as an H, L, O, P, or Q visa. these should count as "alien registration"

in other words, you're not here illegally. you've registered with the US government

Thats a good point.

A Green Card is a Permanent Resident Alien Card. Visas ought to count as "alien registration"

Thats a good point.

A Green Card is a Permanent Resident Alien Card. Visas ought to count as "alien registration"

I agree. I think Thierry might be able to go to a different licensing office and get a license from a clerk who doesn't have an attitude or the proverbial "hair across" their butt, and one who correctly interprets the rules. Many "public servants" forget what the title means. :shakehead:

One of the posters quoted the regulations. The pertinent section is emboldened below:
Non-U.S. Citizens who are not residents of the Commonwealth shall:
1. Provide a copy of the alien registration receipt card issued by the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service to the applicant and
2. Temporarily reside in any coastal city or town of the Commonwealth and
3. own more than $5,000 in real estate within the Commonwealth as determined by tax records.

C. Non-U.S. Citizens who are residents of the Commonwealth shall:
Provide a copy of applicant alien registration receipt card issued by the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.

The link to the application pdf:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialfishing/nc-lobster_app.pdf

I'd try a different licensing office to find a real "public servant". :D

Dave C

Given how murky the definition of "Alien Registration Reciept" is turning out to be, it definitely seems like it is worth another shot with a different clerk.

I agree with the alien registration card argument. Good luck. When are public servants going to get it. Being a public servant (teacher) myself, it infuriates me to no end when other public servants seem to forget their jobs, as in part of their job is customer service. I just think they should be fired, don't let the door hit you on the way out kinda thing if they can't do their job. We've got these lardo garbage men here in Milo, Maine who say they can't lift over 70 lbs. They also like to throw garbage all over the place and some of it actually gets in the truck (not much, though). Their foreman says he has a workers comp issue if they do their job, ie., putting garbage in the truck. I think the workers comp issue is gonna show up 'cause they're fat b*st*rds. Anyway, not meaning to rant but good luck to our Belgian friend. Find someone who isn't a jack*ss and go get your lobsters.

I agree. I think Thierry might be able to go to a different licensing office and get a license from a clerk who doesn't have an attitude or the proverbial "hair across" their butt, and one who correctly interprets the rules. Many "public servants" forget what the title means. :shakehead:

I'd try a different licensing office to find a real "public servant". :D

Dave C

I posted a question a while back about being a New Hampshire resident who owned property on the Cape in trust..... As an update, I finally was able to get it all squared away and got the license. I found the most helpful people in the New Bedford MA office. They even gave me directions where I could get a money order (didn't have my checkbook with me and they don't take cash) to pay for the license. Hope that helps.

Guys,

I got to thank you all once more, but this time, it's a BIG THANK !!
You send me many great messages, support, ideas and now, my dream has come true !

I have tried with another office, the guy there was much much much more friendlier ! We discussed my situation and all the paperwork I had and he said this was no problem to get it :)
What a big difference it makes to have someone nice and polite to talk to, for me day and night is not even sufficient to explain the difference between the first office person and the second one !

So I recommend Gloucester office definitely more friendly and professional :D

Lobstahs... here I come ;o)

Yeeehaaa !

Subaboard, and you simply rock !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom