Profiling of Divers at Los Cabos Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is illuminating.

What I have noticed in the many police corruption cases in the USA, once the corruption truly infects a local system, it becomes a standard part of the culture. I would guess that at some time in the past, the idea of soaking the American tourists for every dime possible became such a part of the system that anyone not doing would have to feel like a fool.

When I went to college, one of my friends worked for the previous summer as a baggage handler at JFK airport. He said every single one of the full time regulars had their specific reserved locations where they would store the luggage they intended to steal.

They do not accept cash or American Express, Visa or Mastercard only to pay the tax.
I find this interesting... I would have expected them to be "extracting value" from the tourists in cash, as that's more easily made (ahem) a "personal reimbursement".

It's almost like this isn't a case of your bog-standard 'la mordida' but organized fleecing by customs...

Maybe they just have "metrics" to make as far as the taxes, so they go after the folks they know will have something they care about and they argue could be "more" than the standard "Two photographic or video recording cameras".

It's almost like this isn't a case of your bog-standard 'la mordida' but organized fleecing by customs...
I think the phrase "organized fleecing" is the essence of my earlier post. If the corruption in a specific instance is as pervasive as this seems to be, it is probably not just individuals doing it.

It reminds me of what I was told on the other coast by regular cave divers in the Yucatan. I was told to use a regular procedure when pulled over by the police there. You wae always to carry a dummy wallet with only $20 in it so $20 would be the limit of the bribe. If pulled over a second time that day, demand to be taken in to headquarters. I didn't quite understand it, but apparently headquarters gets a cut of all the bribes, and tourists are only supposed to be soaked once a day. If you get accosted for a bribe a second time, the officer is probably acting off the books, with headquarters not getting its cut. Supposedly, if the officer is afraid he will get caught taking bribes off the books, he will let you go. Anyway, that is the theory on how to deal with the organized fleecing in that area.

I have been asked numerous times including just a few days ago in Cozumel how many cameras do I have? The answer is ONE! I would not wish to tempt fate by answering two.

I think people need to stop going to Cabo and stop using those live aboards and resorts and then something will be done about it.

I think people need to stop going to Cabo and stop using those live aboards and resorts and then something will be done about it.
Or don't take photos. I haven't gotten into underwater photography, and this "tax" only cements my reluctance.

Maybe it will be a boon for smartphone photography. "No, I don't have a camera."

Or don't take photos. I haven't gotten into underwater photography, and this "tax" only cements my reluctance.

Maybe it will be a boon for smartphone photography. "No, I don't have a camera."
Well, hmmmph, that is no fun :shakehead:.

But, you are right, :), the most powerful camera in the world, capable of seeing the unseen and seeing more than is even there sometimes (explains beauty is in the eye of the beholder), the human mind!

Speaking of which, Turkish Airlines has a 8kg carry on limit and my dive buddy was charged almost $600 for two carry on cases (regs and camera stuff) for being overweight at 12kg. My Pelican Light was also over the 8kg limit but I begged the fellow and smiled and sweet talked him and he with a wink allowed me to pass and put a cabin approved sticker on my case that also got me back home on the return. The agent was later at the gate and he winked at me with a smile. Sometimes being nice and a little luck wins the day. But cannot count on my beauty getting me by every time :flowers:.

I find this interesting... I would have expected them to be "extracting value" from the tourists in cash, as that's more easily made (ahem) a "personal reimbursement".

I was wondering about this too. I wonder if someone has set up a personal credit card account and they split the money up later.

Or just avoid this corrupt country and it’s a-hole customs agents…
Which corrupt country are you talking about?

I have opened my luggage at a destination and found a form inside saying my bag had been checked by TSA and realized stuff had been taken. It was all pretty minor stuff, but it was still pure theft. I think they stuck to minor stuff so that they know TSA would ignore my complains (which they did). If they had taken something serious, there would have been an investigation.

I have been asked numerous times including just a few days ago in Cozumel how many cameras do I have? The answer is ONE! I would not wish to tempt fate by answering two.

There are thousands of people going through San Jose del Cabo airport every day who are not divers or serious photographers. I doubt the few who are deciding to avoid Cabo would make any difference to the resorts and the liveaboards are small potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom