Profiling of Divers at Los Cabos Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe somebody else can confirm, but I read a few other threads that suggested flying into Mexico City and then on to Cabo was one way to avoid this issue.

Maybe somebody else can confirm, but I read a few other threads that suggested flying into Mexico City and then on to Cabo was one way to avoid this issue.
We discussed this, if we ever need to fly into Cabo again. You can fly anywhere into Mexico, clear customs there and then flying into Cabo would be a domestic flight so you would not have to deal with the extortion.

how do they determine the value of your camera / housing for which to base the tax?
They look it up on the internet and use whatever value comes up, regardless of how out of date that is.

You likely need to go through that airport on departure ... I would imagine that that could result in finding yourself being stopped for more than just profiling. Might even result in a semi-permanent residency down there.
We thought about the same thing, getting flagged when trying to depart.

OK, I am not a photographer so don't have an issue, but I came upon this thread and am mystified. Can someone explain the issue here? What tax are we talking about? If it is a country-wide tax, why would going to Mexico City first help?

@boulderjohn - from the Nautilus website:

Mexico Customs and Cameras

Unfortunately, we have received recent reports of isolated incidents where guests have been charged taxes for bringing their camera housings into Mexico. This is a transgression of your rights as an international passenger and a violation of both Mexican and international law. The company is investigating this, and in the meantime, we would like to provide you with this information to help improve your experience at Mexican customs.

As an international passenger, you are entitled to bring without paying taxes, two cameras or video recording devices, and their accessories. An underwater housing unit is a camera accessory which fits your camera and allows control and usage of the device while diving. As the housing can only be functional when used with your camera, it should be considered a part of your “two cameras with their accessories” luggage allowance. Mexico Customs and Cameras The best way to avoid a problem with customs illegally trying to extract a tax is to bring your camera gear in a carryon suitcase. We recommend against bringing a Pelican case or a hard suitcase that has lots of dive stickers on it. Being low-key and flying low under the radar works best.

What should I do if the customs agents are trying to tax me for my housing?

1. Do not worry about your camera housing if you have not been approached by a customs agent or officer about it.

2. Bring documentation for the camera and housing. (examples: manuals, receipts, technical information, etc.)

3. You are entitled to ask for information and for a transcription of your rights as an international passenger.

4. If you encounter a customs officer who does not consider your camera housing an accessory, remain calm and try to explain to the customs officer that your camera housing is merely an accessory, and therefore tax free under Mexican Customs Law. Provide your devices’ documentations and (m)anuals.

5. Ask the custom agent or officer to please provide written explanation of the classification method used to classify your housing as something different than your camera’s accessory.

6. If you are not successful, you may ask to please speak to a supervisor.

7. If you feel your rights are being violated, you are entitled to file a complaint against the officer on site, just ask to be referred to someone within the Public Function Office (Secretaría de la Funcion Pública). We strongly recommend you remain calm and speak to Mexican authorities with respect.

8. If your attempts have been unsuccessful and you are asked to pay taxes, ask the officer in charge to please print a detailed account of the taxes you will be paying and the classification method they used to classify the goods that are being taxed.

9. Pay under protest - when paying, ask the cashier and customs officer to acknowledge in writing that you have paid under protest.

Unfortunately, we have received recent reports of isolated incidents where guests have been charged taxes for bringing their camera housings into Mexico. This is a transgression of your rights as an international passenger and a violation of both Mexican and international law. The company is investigating this, and in the meantime, we would like to provide you with this information to help improve your experience at Mexican customs.

As an international passenger, you are entitled to bring without paying taxes, two cameras or video recording devices, and their accessories. An underwater housing unit is a camera accessory which fits your camera and allows control and usage of the device while diving. As the housing can only be functional when used with your camera, it should be considered a part of your “two cameras with their accessories” luggage allowance. Mexico Customs and Cameras The best way to avoid a problem with customs illegally trying to extract a tax is to bring your camera gear in a carryon suitcase. We recommend against bringing a Pelican case or a hard suitcase that has lots of dive stickers on it. Being low-key and flying low under the radar works best.

1. Do not worry about your camera housing if you have not been approached by a customs agent or officer about it.

2. Bring documentation for the camera and housing. (examples: manuals, receipts, technical information, etc.)

3. You are entitled to ask for information and for a transcription of your rights as an international passenger.

4. If you encounter a customs officer who does not consider your camera housing an accessory, remain calm and try to explain to the customs officer that your camera housing is merely an accessory, and therefore tax free under Mexican Customs Law. Provide your devices’ documentations and (m)anuals.

5. Ask the custom agent or officer to please provide written explanation of the classification method used to classify your housing as something different than your camera’s accessory.

7. If you feel your rights are being violated, you are entitled to file a complaint against the officer on site, just ask to be referred to someone within the Public Function Office (Secretaría de la Funcion Pública). We strongly recommend you remain calm and speak to Mexican authorities with respect.

8. If your attempts have been unsuccessful and you are asked to pay taxes, ask the officer in charge to please print a detailed account of the taxes you will be paying and the classification method they used to classify the goods that are being taxed.

9. Pay under protest - when paying, ask the cashier and customs officer to acknowledge in writing that you have paid under protest.
Wow!

When traveling you have to assume you will encounter corruption from airport officials! Is this everywhere, or it is primarily Cabo that this happens?

They forget to mention to make sure you have a few days worth of food and water with you because if you go through all this, you probably aren't getting out of their little un-airconditioned, brightly lit room with no windows for quite a while.

If anyone has actually taken this route please let us know how that went.

If anyone has actually taken this route please let us know how that went.
We were headed to the Belle Amie, a Nautilus boat, and had read their recommendations. Asking for a supervisor went unheard, they asked several times and one never arrived. Trying to explain the law also fell on deaf ears, one of the divers was taxed for his video lights that he uses with a GoPro. The agents were going to get their money and didn't care how. One of the guys asked the agent to put "paying under protest" on the form and she refused. He wrote it on there himself and she was not happy about it.

Cabo is the only place I have heard they extract this kind of tax. I suspect it is because Cabo is/was the jumping off point for Socorro and Guadalupe Islands. Divers going to those locations were more likely to bring the larger housings, i.e. Nauticam, which cost several thousand dollars. Profile the right people and they could extort several thousand dollars in taxes each week. It's not just camera accessories either. One of our group said while they were waiting the watched another American pay $500 in tax on chocolate he had purchased in the Duty Free shop just prior to going through Customs. They refused to let him throw it away too, he had to pay. I'm avoiding Cabo, its just not worth it.

We were headed to the Belle Amie, a Nautilus boat, and had read their recommendations. Asking for a supervisor went unheard, they asked several times and one never arrived. Trying to explain the law also fell on deaf ears, one of the divers was taxed for his video lights that he uses with a GoPro. The agents were going to get their money and didn't care how. One of the guys asked the agent to put "paying under protest" on the form and she refused. He wrote it on there himself and she was not happy about it.

Cabo is the only place I have heard they extract this kind of tax. I suspect it is because Cabo is/was the jumping off point for Socorro and Guadalupe Islands. Divers going to those locations were more likely to bring the larger housings, i.e. Nauticam, which cost several thousand dollars. Profile the right people and they could extort several thousand dollars in taxes each week. It's not just camera accessories either. One of our group said while they were waiting the watched another American pay $500 in tax on chocolate he had purchased in the Duty Free shop just prior to going through Customs. They refused to let him throw it away too, he had to pay. I'm avoiding Cabo, its just not worth it.

Agreed. No Cabo for me, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom