replacing my aged regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your happy with the regs why buy new? Lets face it, the first stages are nothing but chrome plated marine brass and stainless steel and the seconds are tough plastic. All the aging or wearing parts are replaced during a service so what is the point it replacing it? If your tech is doing his/her job it's like new every time it's serviced. There has been a lot of hype over new models- always is, gotta sell them somehow but the fact is there have been little real advancements made in reg design since the 70's. If service and repair parts are available I see no good reason to replace it. Guess I am a tightwad but I never could understand replacing good working equipment for new models for no reason other than they are new.

i totally agree herman. i am a very frugal person too. but if there was a piece of equipment i would change and keep up to date, it would be a reg.
i use the same everything almost from 10 to 15 years back and just like my instructor said these things are really built to last.
but the problem with regs is newer doesnt necessarily equate to better as you and others have pointed out.
im also wary that a new reg that is in the mi to budget range will just give me a poorer breathing experience compared to my reg now.
ill have my mk10 checked again and if there really isnt any problem (im 90% sure of this) then ill stick to getting a new 2nd stage instead.
:crafty:

good point cbmech. i love the mk10. its been so reliable. its just that i see some blackness around the air attachment. my dive shop says its normal wear, but i just wanna be sure too....snip....the g 250 is really such a great reg that after 20 years it still on the the product list of scubapro. some people even swear that the old models perform much better than the new ones.

Let me guess, the blackness around the area where the reg attaches to the tank is right where the black dust cap contacts the reg, correct? That will clean right off at your next service. The chrome might be gone but the bare brass will work absolutely fine. If you're super paranoid you could almost certainly find a new yoke bolt.

No matter what you spend, you're unlikely to find anything that works noticeably better. For an appropriate 2nd stage, buy a used G250 (not the HP) or a D400, or a G200B, or a 109 adjustable metal case and have it converted to balanced/adjustable. You could find any one of those in excellent shape, pay for the rebuild including your 1st stage and R190, and buy brand new hoses for probably around $250 total.

Let me guess, the blackness around the area where the reg attaches to the tank is right where the black dust cap contacts the reg, correct? That will clean right off at your next service. The chrome might be gone but the bare brass will work absolutely fine. If you're super paranoid you could almost certainly find a new yoke bolt.

No matter what you spend, you're unlikely to find anything that works noticeably better. For an appropriate 2nd stage, buy a used G250 (not the HP) or a D400, or a G200B, or a 109 adjustable metal case and have it converted to balanced/adjustable. You could find any one of those in excellent shape, pay for the rebuild including your 1st stage and R190, and buy brand new hoses for probably around $250 total.

yeah its exactly that. now i feel much better that my 1st stage is still in tiptop shape. i also contacted my friend who did the last service of my reg and he says my 1st reg is fine.
i think i will get that 2nd stage instead of a whole new set!
thanks to all , you just saved me a bundle of money and possibility a whole lot of anxiety:D
:D

Unless you are tech'ie or a professional hawking gear in a retail setting & trying to encourage others to buy what you got, I gotta go with Herman (above).

There really has not been anything new under the Sun (at least) for decades. The makers got to keep up the hype to push sales and play on the snob appeal. There ain't nothing magical or mystic in that chrome'an brass.

However if you are a steady high income kind of guy, I say go for it - make the LDS love you, but keep your old one as a spare.

Otherwise hold out for when they figure out a way to put a micro chips in open circut scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom