Sea sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd get the Rx when I'm at the MDs for a regular checkup or some other visit. Certainly not worth the extra co-pay or out-of-pocket costs for an extra office visit. (Though my doc will write an Rx for something like meclizine without a charged visit.)

PS - you can save even more by submitting the receipt for your meclizine/Bonine to your healthcare flex-spending account, thereby paying for it with pre-tax dollars instead of after-tax dollars. Brings your cost down to about $3 for 30 tabs.

:eyebrow:

Now I see what you're saying and agree.

Seasickness sucks, just eat lightly or not at all before the dive and puke when you feel it... it sucks until you're in the water. I must admit I hate the taste of a regulator after I barf

Seasickness sucks, just eat lightly or not at all before the dive and puke when you feel it... it sucks until you're in the water. I must admit I hate the taste of a regulator after I barf

Eat bananas before the dive. Won't do anything for seasickness...but it is the only food that tastes the same coming UP as it did going DOWN.

:shocked2:

Try the accupressure C-bands. They work by stimulating your accupressure anti-nausea point. You can usually find these close to the seasick remedies in the drug store. They don't cause drowsiness, and they are reusable. They work well for my kids for deep sea fishing.

Also, I find a good thing to do w/o medication is constant eating. Try to eat a saltine (or cheezit) cracker every 15 minutes or so.

Dang, no need to get all hostile. I guess I must have misunderstood your original post (I bolded this below) where you seem to suggest it is cheaper to get a doctor to prescribe meclizine than it is buying bonine over the counter.

If you are paying cash for both the doctor's appointment and the Rx then you are correct. If you're running them through your health insurance plan like most people do, then I'm correct.

If your primary physican requires an office visit for a sea sickness script I would find a new one. Medical doctors can help to avoid working for the gov'mint by avoiding such nonsensical revenue producing practices.

Based on the people I see feeding the fish regularly, I don't recommend getting sea sick on an empty stomach. As a general rule people recover faster (better?) after having something to throw up as opposed to having your system attempting to violently discard substances or organs that belong inside your body.

If your primary physican requires an office visit for a sea sickness script I would find a new one. Medical doctors can help to avoid working for the gov'mint by avoiding such nonsensical revenue producing practices.

I mostly agree with what you're saying although most doctors are hesitant to write scripts for patients over the phone if they have not seen them in person within a reasonable amount of time.

I mostly agree with what you're saying although most doctors are hesitant to write scripts for patients over the phone if they have not seen them in person within a reasonable amount of time.

I am on the side of Doctors most of the time including tort reform with would alleviate such nonsencical concerns. You can purchase most such innocouse drugs OTC in most countries in the world that keeps the jackals at bay. Building a doctor/client relationship including annual physical exams also assists with the dispensing of meds without having to visit. :)

I swear by Ginger root pills. Myth Busters evan proved this to be the only true remedy.
@jhayes75: I watched that MythBusters episode. That was not the conclusion that the team made at all.

Results:
The ginger pills (unspecified dose taken 1 hr prior to experiment) appeared to work for both subjects in the study...but so did the "pharmaceutical remedy" in both subjects AND a B12 vitamin pill (placebo) in 1 out of 2 subjects (Grant only). The team also looked at drowsiness as a side effect; both subjects reported drowsiness with the "pharmaceutical remedy" only. They did not specify what the pharmaceutical remedy was. My best guess is that they used Dramamine (dimenhydrinate).

Conclusion:
The final conclusion was that ginger pills as a seasickness remedy was "plausible." The pharmaceutical remedy also worked but with some associated drowsiness. Remedies that didn't work included: the "tongue tingler" spray, accupressure wrist bands, and mild electrical shock wrist bands. It was clear the production team didn't know what to make of the placebo results. The narrator explained that all of Grant's results "couldn't be trusted" since he had been "tricked" by the placebo. The point should have been made that the placebo effect is real and that simply saying something will help...might make it a self-fulfilling "prophecy."

Study Design:
The purpose of the trial was to find a non-pharmaceutical remedy for seasickness. To that end, the team built a spinning chair to create movement that induces nausea/vomiting. According to Jamie, this contraption was modeled after a similar chair designed by NASA scientists (the motionsickness experts). There were 2 subjects in the study (Grant and Adam). For all trials, the subjects were blindfolded and asked to repeat a series of head movements (forward-back-left-right) designed to hasten onset of motionsickness symptoms. The only trial in which the subjects did not know what they had taken was the B12 vitamin placebo. (This might seem like a minor detail, but it's actually kind of important.) Adam appeared to be more susceptible to the effects of the spinning chair than Grant. The following remedies were tested: "tongue tingler" mouth spray, accupressure wrist bands, mild electrical shock wrist bands, ginger pills, and a "pharmaceutical remedy."

Enjoy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom