swim trunks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amy,
I swam as competition swimmer for years, we had some specially designed wetsuits that created drag in the water. Anyway, from having to wear one of these about once a week, I can say, something tight that won't bunch up. After a long time of wear if you had a normal swimsuit on you will develop the lines from where the fabric gets folded when this shifts blood rushes back into these areas, and goes from feeling like an itch (which you look pretty funny scratching) to actually creating a bruse. Not to mention these suits don't trap as much water there so you don't feel like you just pee'ed in you wetsuit all the time. (even if you didnt)

CR

I usually dive a BARE 3/2 Velocity Full suit. Underneath I use both a shirt & shorts from DivegearUSA. The shorts are like a pair of bike shorts except at the bottom of they have a rubberized band of stitches that keep them from sliding up. Sort of like the rubber grippers that you see on camera straps. I liked them so much I bought a second set but Henderson brand. The material in the Henderson seemed to easily "pull" and I felt the Henderson shirt was more constricting than the DivegearUSA. It may be the cut, my body or another reasons but the DivegearUSA was more comfortable and I plan on buying another set in March at Beneath The Sea.

..from experience - - The lycra shorts (under regular trunks which are donned / doffed at change time) work great and don't bunch up, HOWEVER, I've found they are much more comfortable when they have two seams in the crotch to allow room for the boys RATHER than a single seam down the middle, ouchie !! after a couple of hours.

BTW, I used to wear a thong backwards just for fun but nobody noticed! :eyecrazy:

-BnB

I use Lyra shorts and short sleeve top from Evo. I like it because it drys really fast and I can slip my wetsuit on and off very easy, even when wet. Wouldn't be caught dead in a speedo, and I have heard that board shorts do ride up.... The ladies I dive with wear a one piece bathing suit...

one time i saw this guy on a bike wearing a speedo (and nothing else but
shoes) and i said to myself "that ain't NEVER gonna be me."

i am still wearing old fashioned swim trunks, and i don't mind the bunching
(which does happen) at all. i don't notice any pain or itching or anything...
so... why fix what's not broken? also, why spend money i don't need to...

(these are rhetorical questions)

Its all personal prefrence. I prefer board trunks. but if you think he would wear them I'm sure the speedo type are more comfortable/practical

I wear the Speedo long shorts that are pretty tight. But I also find they help when putting on a tight fitting wetsuit. They just slide really quick and easy over the lycra surface. I was even thinking of getting the full body lycra suits if it means quicker and easier donning of the wetsuit.

I also like them as I can easily wear them under any clothing (like jeans) that I may be wearing on the way to the divesite and they dry really quick in the sun as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom