Back inflate bcs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishydiver123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for my first set of kit, and I've decided I like the idea of a back inflate bc that is fairly lightweight. Anyone know about the cressi light jac or Mares Pegasus mrs r Sherwood Tortuga?

Thanks - also, what are the disadvantages of a back inflate as compared to a jacket?

Some of the pros of a back inflate is that your front area is more free and open. There is more flexibility than a jacket.

In the con category: On the surface you will have a tendency of falling forward. It is easily fixed by remembering to keep your thigh straight with your body (don't bend at the hip).

I like the back inflate more. I like the freedom that comes with the stuff behind me.

Having only dove backinflate BC's I do prefer having the freedom of nothing really squeezing me. Irearly ever fall face forward in the water. When on the surface I tend to be able to ride perfectly on my back by just pulling my knees up to my chest.

From what I have read on SB so far, if you don't use a BP/W, you will die...

with a back tube your body is more like the keal of a ship when your under the water and your horozonal is greatly improved, it will take a little work on your trim so try to dive the same type and size tank every dive until you figure out your weighting needs and the total feel of the system ,your gonna love it!
Spend some time in the pool how ever much time you need,and on the surface just keep you mask and reg. in place until you overcome the fact of it wanting to push you face over just like dhuskins said
I was in New York once and ask a man on the street "how do I get to Carnige Hall" he replied "Practice..Practice...Practice"

Thanks - also, what are the disadvantages of a back inflate as compared to a jacket?

Have you ever made a dive in a BI? Have you ever made a dive in a Vest?

What gear did you train in? What kind of gear will you train in?

What kind of dives do you make? What kind of dives do you plan to make?

What body size are you? What body size will you be? Those Q's and more for the internet mystics to ask.

Everybody is different; for some a small inconvenience, others a serious safety issue.

I used to dive in a back inflated BC Seaquest Balance for a while, and it did have a tendency to push my face forward while resting on the surface especially when the BC is fully inflated. At the same time, I have a little difficulty putting it on in the water. It is hard to get the balance while you tried to sit on it and slide in. I finally got myself a B/P Wing with SS plate and never go back to a Jacket or Back Inflate BC again. Maybe you will moving recreational diving to tech dive later, and it will safe your some money when it comes to replacing your gear from single to double tank. Just a comment from a newbie.:D

Regardless of what you choose, make sure you try before you buy. Sometimes it seems as though everyone around here dives a BP/W, yet not everyone finds them to be the be all end all as some very vocal folks claim. Personally, I found the BP/W to be difficult to don and doff,very uncomfortable on my body, and had no advantage underwater over my back inflate BC (Zeagle Zena).

As a new diver, you are going to be best served by trying as many different types of gear on as possible, and if you can get them wet, even better! Regardless of what you choose, back inflation BCs have the huge advantage of not having an air cell wrapping around your body, either providing bulk or squeeze. Some folks say they push you forward at the surface, which may happen when fully inflated, though you don't need to fully inflate your BC at the surface. You can also mitigate the "push forward" by simply leaning back, giving you a really comfortable "easy chair" feeling while waiting on the surface.

I started with a standard BCD went to a back inflate BCD and have moved to a Back Plate and Harness and will not go back!

Simply put Its a cool as Legos with out all the hassles.

Pros
- Interchangeable. I can swap between my Steel plate and plastic plates if i am diving our cold waters or diving tropical conditions.
- Interchangeable. I can go from diving my single tank to diving my doubles with in seconds by changing out my wing, no need to own two different setups.
- User replaceable. If i happened to cut my wing i can have a new bladder installed with in hours ( my LDS stocks them ).. no need to go out and rebuy a whole new BCD or ship it to the company to have it replaced.
- Clutter free.... yes wearing it right and diving the gear i feel is needed means my rig is clutter flee and everything has its place and i know exactly where it is when i need it.
- No buoyancy.. Unlike standard BCD with all the gimics and unnecessary padding and such witch just requires you to add more weight to get your ass down a standard backplate and wing does not have it.
-Fully adjustable.. Unlike a BCD when you decide to drop some weight or put on some weight or sell it your stuck with that size! A Back plate and wing can be taken in or for $20 replace the webbing to whatever size you wish to have. Makes the resale of the product that much easier... not that many who go to the system resell them :D

Cons..
- A little less comfy when out of the water carrying it back and forth to the water.
- When its not fitted correctly it can be difficult to don and dof however when it is fitted right should not be an issue.

Other than that i don't see how a standard BCD can benefit anyone outside of a Back plate and harness but that is my personal experience, and of course if anyone local to me is looking to get into one i would be more than happy to work with you and do what i can to assist.

Some of the pros of a back inflate is that your front area is more free and open. There is more flexibility than a jacket.

In the con category: On the surface you will have a tendency of falling forward. It is easily fixed by remembering to keep your thigh straight with your body (don't bend at the hip).

I like the back inflate more. I like the freedom that comes with the stuff behind me.

Being overweighted or overinflating a BI at the surface will also contribute to "face in the water" syndrome. This was my initial experience with a Zeagle Escape. I dive a Ranger LTD now and as soon as I got my weight right and broke the newb habit of pumping the BC up too much on the surface all was fine.

Back
Top Bottom