What is the future of Scuba Diving and the technology we use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the future of Scuba Diving and the technology we use?

Wii DiverTM :(

If you follow the link the 'ultimate' gas is discussed. As it stands Heliox is pretty ultimate :)

Heliox

This blend of gas is perhaps the most powerful in terms of depth, heliox is a combination solely of helium and oxygen. Without any nitrogen present DCI is eliminated and depths of 300m and beyond can be achieved

Does the author know any heliox divers who do 300m dives without any in-water deco (aside from surfacing)?

What is the future of Scuba Diving and the technology we use?

Wii DiverTM :(

WRONG ! eDiver :D

Every student will use a scuba diving simulator (hopefully our)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Greetings fellow divers and this is a very appropriate thread for New Years.
I am looking forward to more mainstream CCR and with the physiological advances that are in our very near future the safety factor will increase. I am thinking of smaller, advanced sensors for the CCR and the diver. I have been interested in an implant that would communicate between the diver and the CCR not to relieve the diver of responsibility but add further safety. The science and tech. is probably out there but not cost effective unless you are a super government spy.
The revolution in Thermal protection will continue as manufactures battle to keep their slice of the pie. Lighter, thinner, and warmer are my hopes! Well affordable sort of would be nice.
The Scuba Industry will rebound from the economic crunch and hopefully continue to push the envelope. A big portion of this rebound will be up to the encouraged interest in new divers. This is what I am most interested in for the new year just what the actual stats are for new divers for 2010. I like to encourage new divers and others to continue their evolution into experienced competent divers. We all have our part in fueling the dive science by our continued support of the industry.
I was just talking with a LDS that mentioned the possibility of new diving destinations in CUBA. This would really open the opportunities and create even more options close to the US. This is just speculation and not fact but very possible in the next several years.
Good luck and we will see what happens for the new year!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

ccr's are incredible tools but sadly most divers including myself probably aren't anywhere responsible enough to use them all the time. Even in the future mechanical failures will happen no matter how much technology we have. There is really no gas other than He that we can add to our gas to breathe at depth to get any benefits from. I have used a 25 year old reg that I would almost swear is a $700 reg that was brand new. I don't really like the HUD's. Maybe something in thermal protection will come along soon.

Maybe someone will invent a neutrally buoyant suit similar to a wetsuit, but instead of air pockets in the material it will be filled with some sort of gel that heats up if it is compressed.

Who knows what technology will bring.

My guess is that more electronics will be where we see the most advances.
There's something to be said for the simplicity of open curcuit vs CCR. CCR's involve a lot of maintenance and even if the cost eventually goes down by half (plus the cost of inflation) they're still a lot of money which leaves them out of reach for most people.

Hand help lighting will undoubtedly improve leaps and bounds in the next few years.

Personally with gear, I've made a move towards simplicity and getting rid of stuff. I bought a lot of gizmos in the beginning that seemed like a good idea, but later shed them because I realized they were just extra fluff that was unecessary.

As far as the types of dives I have moved towards - I enjoy just doing the type of dives that gave me so much joy when I first started. I have learned to enjoy the little things and I realize I don't always have to "one up" my previous dive by going deeper, longer, with more gear.

The future may not be so much in gear advancements but rather in the application of the diving.
Years ago most divers were hunters and the main focus was on diving as a means to spear fish and gather game. Now days there is some of that but more people are moving to photography. Maybe in the future there will be a move towards something else.

More is less, and less is more.

Won't change for me much, I've got enuff bells and whistles already........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom