ScubaPro vs Oceanic gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at getting a new dive system setup. I have been looking at the Cruz or ProbeLX from oceanic or the glide pro from scubapro. Any opinions on which is better or maybe even a different suggestion? I'm also looking at these 2 brands for my reg/octo/console/DC as well. Any input with the BC's or dealing you have had with either brands goods overall would be much appreciated.
My wife and I have had our Oceanic Regs for 15+ years now and with regular service have had no problems at all. Very reliable equipment. Only problem we currently have is that we're in the Philippines and not a lot of dealers here to service them. We had the same issue in NJ and had to travel about 50 miles to get them serviced when our local shop closed. That would be my only decision between the two regs you're looking at; how easy will it be for servicing.

Again like others said, mix and match but none of those prices seem unusually high. I have a Veo 100 and Aladin Prime, go with the veo because it's much easier to learn how to use it, it's one button instead of two which are actually four because on the prime each button has a left and a right which some time drives me CRAZY!

My first set of gear was Oceanic (Delta reg, Omega octo, SPG, Versa computer) and I was very happy with it (value for the money). Most of them were rated near the top by Rodales then in 2000-2002. I found if I were to get similar performing gear (regs, computer) in other brands, I'd likely have to spend at least 20% more. I have limited experience with ScubaPro (although I use Atomic regs, whose owners used to design regs for ScubaPro) but I know they make good gear. I see you're a beginner, get what you're comfortable with (fit and budget). Other things to consider - is there a local dealer to service your regs (are they reliable), cost of annual service (labor and parts) - these factors should be considered as well.

Lots of opinions here, I'll just add that they are both great brands. I wouldn't dare say one is better than another because I don't think that's possible. Which feels more comfortable? Either BC will last you for years and years if you take good care of it. What is your budget? How easy will it be for you to get it serviced where you are? What are the different prices for servicing your gear?

Personally, I dive Hollis BP/W and Oceanic Regs. Wouldn't switch my BC for any other no matter how much they cost. As for my FDX-10 Reg, I love it. Would be equally as happy with Scubapro, Atomic Aquatics, Aqualung, Hollis or Apeks. The Apeks Flight looks really nice.

Local service? That's an idea that needs explaned to me. For dump truck service, local help is needed. But... I can box the family's regulators and send them for service at Diver's Direct or Scubatoys. They have full time techs who are proficient at their work, because they do it daily.

Am I missing something?

Yea if you have a shop your confident can do the work properlly. Why pay shipping and then wait for it to get returned then have a chance that Maybe the reg was not adjusted proeprlly maybe to tight for your likeing maybe has aslight hiss or free flow. This is where that Local DS is great. If they are like mine when you come in you sit there hook uo your regs tot he tank to make sure everything is perfect the way you like/want it if not they fix it right there. No need for excess shippin and cost. But If no one is local and you like that Product your statement is correct no need to worry about local

Local service? That's an idea that needs explaned to me. For dump truck service, local help is needed. But... I can box the family's regulators and send them for service at Diver's Direct or Scubatoys. They have full time techs who are proficient at their work, because they do it daily.

Am I missing something?

I think the fact that some of us prefer not to wait for shipping and as has been noted, if something needs tweaking after service it is nice to just hand it back over the counter or let them offer a loaner if need be.

I don't know which DD you deal with, but I hope you are not sending your regs to West Palm, as they then turn around and send them out again.

My local shop that services my regs has actually allowed me to use their tools/bench if I need to do something myself.

We do both......

Some regs go to our LDS for service and send some out.....

It just takes a bit of advanced planning and coordination to send regs away no big deal......

We own 2 IDI regs that we can't get serviced locally so they go to Arizona.....at least until the spare parts are no longer available.......:depressed:

M

From the choices given and considering performance, cost, value and service, I'd recommend that you go with Oceanic.

Back
Top Bottom