ScubaPro vs Oceanic gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAirHarper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at getting a new dive system setup. I have been looking at the Cruz or ProbeLX from oceanic or the glide pro from scubapro. Any opinions on which is better or maybe even a different suggestion? I'm also looking at these 2 brands for my reg/octo/console/DC as well. Any input with the BC's or dealing you have had with either brands goods overall would be much appreciated.

I'm looking at getting a new dive system setup. I have been looking at the Cruz or ProbeLX from oceanic or the glide pro from scubapro. Any opinions on which is better or maybe even a different suggestion? I'm also looking at these 2 brands for my reg/octo/console/DC as well. Any input with the BC's or dealing you have had with either brands goods overall would be much appreciated.

Both brands are good and have a long history, I have used both for almost 30 years, mostly Scuba pro, I have purchased new gear and one or twice have and warranty work done, I am very sold on there reputation and quality, based on the type of diving that I do.

I have used and owned both brands. In quality and function, they are relatively equal. Oceanic's lowest priced regulator seems to breathe better than the similar Scubapro, however.

In Florida, Scubapro is typically (a lot) more expensive than Oceanic. There is no extra utility or quality, it is just priced higher. If you live near a Diver's Direct, go over and have a look at Oceanic. They usually have good prices.

Have fun with it,

Stu.

SP is typically one of the most expensive options.......

They make good gear.......

I had an Oceanic Reg (DS4/FX10) it was great.......

For me it comes down to which particular item at which price........

M

Scubapro is very nice gear.
Also at the higher end of the scale on price, and quality.
You get what you pay for.
They are sometimes difficult to deal with if you do not return the gear to the very shop you bought it from if repairs or upgrades are needed.
Scubapro is kinda Cadillac, and Oceanic and Aeris are Chevrolet.
Either way, you will be ok with their gear if you do your research.
But...I will offer this.
I would not reccomend purchasing a dive computer from either manufacturer.
If you do have a problem with LDS bought computers from either of these companies, you will probably get a run around in getting them to stand behind their product if they are even one minute out of their warranty periods.
This has been my personal experience.
Chug
Likes the way Tusa stands behind their products.

You want a Good BC? Get a BP/w.
Go with Halcyon or Diverite or one of the others just those two I have seen. Personally i have the Halcyon and the great thing about these systems is they will adapt and change as your diving does no need to buy 2 or 3 BC's this one will stay with you throughout your diving. and if something should go wrong which would be less then a traditional BC costs are typically less.

As for Reg's (ScubaPro or Atomic) is my opinon I didnt really like the breathing of the oceanic's. I dive an MK17/G250v Had R295 Backup Now use a Atomic M1. as my back up.

Computers either Scubapro or Oceanic I personally Have Oceanic Proplus2 and DataMask. MY girlfriend Has Diverite Nitek Duo and Loves it,

Sorry to change the topic of the original question. Just if your thinking about purchasing a new or differnt BC I would seriously just have a look/try one of these first before making your purchase. On the other side I have not heard anything negative about either of these.

I have and use gear from both brands. Most of my 'pool' kit is Oceanic and my OW kit is ScubaPro.
To service ScubaPro gear as long as you have the slip from the previous year's service then any authorized dealer would be able to take care of your gear. The warranty is only available to the original purchaser, and can only be provided by an authorized dealer.
As far as Oceanic computers are concerned I have, in many cases, seen Oceanic go above and beyond in the area of customer service. Most of these instances have gone through dealers and Oceanic has provided, in some cases, very creative solutions. The Oceanic computers are a bit more 'liberal' in their algorithm, which depending on how you view conservatism in diving, is either a pro or a con. The Oceanics are generally a bit easier to navigate through the menus then the Uwatec units.
IMHO, Scubapro has the edge when it comes to providing support to older equipment. I can still get parts for 30+ year old regulators and keep them performing as well as brand new gear.

Scubapro gear although functional is kept priced artificially high due to their pricing policies MARP. They set the selling price the dealer is allowed to sell for. Oceanic's gear is just as good and in many cases better but has a MAP pricing policy that allows the dealers to discount as long as they don't advertize the gear at a price below what the manufacturer allows. You just have to call or walk in and the dealer can work with you if they want to. This can translate to a serious savings but you'll need to do your homework.

Ok.

I am a scubapro guy for 30 years. I also ha have USD an Mares regs as well. My BC is a BPW. My daughter dives a SP Bella BC.

In response to your OP:

Best Regs Scubapro.

Best Entry Level Computers are Oceanic (Aeris~Palagic)

Best BCD Scubapro Classic. If not the Classic any Seaquest.(of course I dive a BPW)

In my opinion for what it is worth I would go with Oceanic. I have Aeris regs. which is the same company as Oceanic. So what ever model you like see about the Aeris it will save you a little money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom