Please sign!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, an internet lynch mob that doesn't know the full findings of fact from a yet to be published FWC investigation; yea, let's go ahead and blindly sign a petition!!!!

Amazing!

Some of us have been following the situation since it happened . . . if you haven't, then read up on it. Multiple sources of info available so you can be 'informed'. Heck, we never want anyone to be blind.

#791...

It blows that someone has the presence of mind to call a lawyer but not the decency to face the music. Would be great to make an example of this case. Send a strong message to potential "hit an run" people out there.

The guy who ran over the diver is an ER physician, and he's been charged with a misdemeanor in connection with the accident as well as for leaving the scene of an accident.

That much I get.

However a petition to try to strip the guy of his medical license because he didn't render aid to the guy he ran over?

There's no legitimate basis for that. If the guy who ran him over was an attorney, should we sign a petition to prevent him from practicing law? If he was a teacher, should we go after his teaching license?

While what the guy did was cowardly and thoughtless; there's no rational justification for trying to go after his medical license and even if you could come up with one, it would in no way be enforceable.

Done.

Where does duty of care come in? Is there no duty for a doctor to render aid when it does not put their own life in danger? I do not know but I thought there was.

The guy who ran over the diver is an ER physician, and he's been charged with a misdemeanor in connection with the accident as well as for leaving the scene of an accident.

That much I get.

However a petition to try to strip the guy of his medical license because he didn't render aid to the guy he ran over?

There's no legitimate basis for that. If the guy who ran him over was an attorney, should we sign a petition to prevent him from practicing law? If he was a teacher, should we go after his teaching license?

While what the guy did was cowardly and thoughtless; there's no rational justification for trying to go after his medical license and even if you could come up with one, it would in no way be enforceable.

Where does duty of care come in? Is there no duty for a doctor to render aid when it does not put their own life in danger? I do not know but I thought there was.

I could be wrong on this but I don't believe there is a required statute for MDs to render aid in such a situation. Even if there WAS I highly doubt it would be grounds for permanently suspending a medical license. Medical licenses are suspended due to incompetance, billing fraud, and sexual harassment of patients (among other things), but not because they failed to render aid to a person who was not under their care.

Conversely, there have been numerous lawsuits whereby a person HAS rendered aid and they get sued by the person they tried to help.

I can only imagine how the friends and family of this diver must feel. But a petition isn't the way to do it. Perhaps several letters to his state's medical board would be the way to go.

Considering what the good Dr. did to Rob, I think he deserves more but that is just me and I know that many do not agree with me there. That is OK. But, I would really like for someone with knowlede (Peter Guy or some others) to chime in on the "Duty of Care" laws. I know that it can and does vary state to state but I would be floored if it was acceptable for any MD to sit back and do nothing in that situation. I have been surprised before so this may be a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom