Please sign!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy who ran over the diver is an ER physician, and he's been charged with a misdemeanor in connection with the accident as well as for leaving the scene of an accident.

That much I get.

However a petition to try to strip the guy of his medical license because he didn't render aid to the guy he ran over?

There's no legitimate basis for that. If the guy who ran him over was an attorney, should we sign a petition to prevent him from practicing law? If he was a teacher, should we go after his teaching license?

While what the guy did was cowardly and thoughtless; there's no rational justification for trying to go after his medical license and even if you could come up with one, it would in no way be enforceable.

Ok you don't want his license taken away? I'm cool with that, I like an eye for an eye anyway. Lets take his legs.

Ok you don't want his license taken away? I'm cool with that, I like an eye for an eye anyway. Lets take his legs.

I am in no way advocating violence but if that diver was me, I wouldn't be passing around a petition....

Considering what the good Dr. did to Rob, I think he deserves more but that is just me and I know that many do not agree with me there. That is OK. But, I would really like for someone with knowlede (Peter Guy or some others) to chime in on the "Duty of Care" laws. I know that it can and does vary state to state but I would be floored if it was acceptable for any MD to sit back and do nothing in that situation. I have been surprised before so this may be a time.

You're confusing what is "reasonable" and what is "just" to what is the law.

They are oftentimes not the same thing.

One glaring example is that holiday message that you see on Television and the radio, which plays "Silent Night" and lists the names of the innocent people (seemingly all children), killed or maimed by drunk drivers who get nothing but a slap on the wrist until something like the 6th repeated offense...

There's nothing fair about the law.

So what does it matter if it is fair that we take his license away then?

And I am not confusing reasonable......I think reasonable IS taking his license away. In fact I think by doing that he is getting off almost scott free because I view what he did (by not rendering aid) as attempted murder. Reasonable or not this is just my opinion though.

So what does it matter if it is fair that we take his license away then?

Because that won't happen.

Filing a petition will not strip the guy of his medical license.

Better off posing as one of his patients in the ER where he works, and filing charges of sexual molestation.

Anyone else think a misdemeanor is a complete joke for someone who knowingly hit a diver, left him there to possibly die, yet was aware enough to have his attorney waiting for him at the dock?

It's not a joke. It's a sad testimonial to the state of affairs in this country.

There are those who will tell you to "vote for elected officials that will make significant changes in the laws and administer punishment that is more appropriate to the crime!"

But that's not going to happen in our lifetimes.

Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath upon becoming doctors.

one of the line of it is to "do no harm" to anyone.

Now... I don't know how the medical board enforces or handles instances like this... but he clearly screwed up and didn't render medical assistance. I should at least warrant a hearing on his license.

I agree. cut his friggin legs off. just make sure he's awake and has no pain killers.... and do it slowly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom