Ratio deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to follow RATION deco. With this method you can ration your deco to your buddy or even save it for a later time. Sometimes I like to ration my deco out for the last dive of the trip so you don't have to deal with it during your dive vacation.

noladiver:
I like to follow RATION deco. With this method you can ration your deco to your buddy or even save it for a later time. Sometimes I like to ration my deco out for the last dive of the trip so you don't have to deal with it during your dive vacation.

True NOLA style! I'm more like that with bar tabs...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

In my experience with it, RD works not only with standard gases, but with other light trimix gases along air mix as well --for example, 51m for 20min is the same RD 1:2 schedule & deep stop profile with deco gases eanx50 & O2, whether you use 21/35, 18/45, 20/20 or air for bottom gas.

In my experience with it, RD works not only with standard gases, but with other light trimix gases along air mix as well --for example, 51m for 20min is the same RD 1:2 schedule & deep stop profile with deco gases eanx50 & O2, whether you use 21/35, 18/45, 20/20 or air for bottom gas.

Has anyone actually taught you to do ratio deco on air or is this your own experiment?

Has anyone actually taught you to do ratio deco on air or is this your own experiment?

While it has been a while, I recall neither Andrew nor Joe covering any 1:1 or 2:1 air profiles during that session. There may have been some MDL air discussion.

You may have experimented (which I respect) on your own with some success and had private conversations with Andrew about air profiles, but what UTD officially teaches (and does not teach) is unequivocal.

Going a little further, I believe that UTD credits helium towards a shallower EAD for decompression purposes (reference Tx25/25 and EAN32 schedules). As such, if you use a helium setpoint and ratio while breathing air, you're technically figuring "the" Ratio Decompression obligation improperly.

Last edited:
I use shallower EAD's for Min Deco when utilizing 30/30, 25/25 or eanx32 . . .not for the deeper setpoints of the RD Schedules (i.g. 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 and 1:4).

Right, but if you are doing an air dive using the trimix setpoints, aren't you using a deeper EAD than prescribed?

Last edited:
They're not "trimix setpoints" per se; just a level of conservatism similarly based on Buhlmann GF's of 30/85, or VPM +2.

You can either choose to be more conservative, or in my case with the DCS hit, "unintentionally & mistakenly liberal" with a VPM conservative factor of +0. . .

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom