Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Irony that is the Zs3 in taking u/w pics...

1. Superb colors and clear pics in Underwater/fish mode- BUT- you dont have shutter speed control, and camera at times (actually most of the time) captures images at 1/60th- 1/30th resulting in blurry/ghost pics, reserve this mode for still nudis, for critters with slightest movement, (e.g. shrimps, mantis, moving fish) forget this mode as it will deliver guaranteed blur

2. Put in normal mode (where you can get good macro shots) and you can control/ limit shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/250, enabling you to capture sharp, crisp no shake pics..., but churns out awful colors...(no raw so hard to edit , wb a pain) - only solution here, strobe (or maybe a red filter?),

If only you can set shutter mode to 1/125 or 1/250 in u/w/ fish mode, Zs3 would have been perfect for pics even with the absence of strobe..

with video, go u/w mode,
with pics, normal cam mode +strobe would be best, no shutter control in uw :(

hi jun

your right about the faster shutter. but tbh i dont think any point and shoot can really capture good fish shots without a strobe unless conditions are almost perfect. for fast moving fish you will definitely need a dslr.
the zs7 has full manual controlsbut i doubt if it will make any difference for fast moving fish as the sensor is still too small ( as is the case for all point and shoots)

hi jun

your right about the faster shutter. but tbh i dont think any point and shoot can really capture good fish shots without a strobe unless conditions are almost perfect. for fast moving fish you will definitely need a dslr.
the zs7 has full manual controlsbut i doubt if it will make any difference for fast moving fish as the sensor is still too small ( as is the case for all point and shoots)

its just find this cam is such a tease... great color, no shutter control, ...yes with shutter control, lousy color....:popcorn:

The comments make sense, BUT it seems there are some very good photo's posted in this forum (especially by Wicked). Does that mean that all the good photos were with strobe? Or does it mean more likely to get a better picture with IA mode not UW mode?

its just find this cam is such a tease... great color, no shutter control, ...yes with shutter control, lousy color....:popcorn:

you could just use manual white balance

The comments make sense, BUT it seems there are some very good photo's posted in this forum (especially by Wicked). Does that mean that all the good photos were with strobe? Or does it mean more likely to get a better picture with IA mode not UW mode?

well junlao seems to be bothered by the (minor) lack of manual control. personally, it has never been an issue for me. the zs3 takes good pictures. it just takes better videos.
also, i think wicked took some of those pictures w/o a strobe

well junlao seems to be bothered by the (minor) lack of manual control. personally, it has never been an issue for me. the zs3 takes good pictures. it just takes better videos.
also, i think wicked took some of those pictures w/o a strobe
for the pics i just use uw mode with high area speed and Cont focusing..a steady hand with tray and arm setup (no strobe yet) and a bit of a touch up later thru picasa and muvee 8 (for vid/pic)

it helps of course to have good viz and stabilizer set at that moment ie 1 or 2

thanks for the all the tips and support so far..:)

do any of you guys know where we can get o-rings for the DMW-MCTZ7

Hey Guys, here is my first HD video made with ZS3 (trip to Grenadines). The second part is under water. Editing was done in FCP (including stabilizing some shots). YouTube - St Vincent & Grenadines 2010

nice video composition, especially topside.
ithink you should try using underwater mode for your u/w vids for a little more color ad clarity.

my 2 psi :)

Thanks :), yeah I agree, I think I used underwater mode for some shots. This was my first underwater video. Hopefully more to come :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom