Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new 10Bar housing w/ their new painting technology.
Hope this new replacement wont give me any probs anymore.

ooppss.. d pics didnt get posted!
will do it again...

hi evie did they say that the replacement you got uses new paint technology themselves?

thats what Jovic said. & Bob, u can see that its a totally different finish fr d old one i used-to have.

This is d same finish as the ones for GF1. Like GF1!!!! But d 10Bar Housing costs 65k!!

Rookie needs advise on taking photos with ZS3 with standard underwater housing.
Problem is some shots are clear with good focus and others are not under very similar conditions (same natural lighting, same water conditions). I don't really use zoom, keep in underwater mode. So the variables seem to be the exact position of the natural light source and how close I am to the subject. This happens on snorkeling shots and dive shots (35 ft or so). Attached are some samples of what I am talking about. Would appreciate any tips from those with more experience.
Thanks, Jon

Attachments

• B12P1010370.jpg
    B12P1010370.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 101
  • B42P1010385.jpg
    B42P1010385.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 91
  • B46P1010386.jpg
    B46P1010386.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 89
Problem is some shots are clear with good focus and others are not under very similar conditions (same natural lighting, same water conditions). I don't really use zoom, keep in underwater mode. So the variables seem to be the exact position of the natural light source and how close I am to the subject. This happens on snorkeling shots and dive shots (35 ft or so). Attached are some samples of what I am talking about. Would appreciate any tips from those with more experience.
Thanks, Jon

hi jondive im no expert but ill just share some thoughts. the octo pics do look either out of focus or blurred. im thinking that maybe this was due to camera shake or not pressing the button halfway. im thinking it could be more of the latter.
as you may know, you need to press the button halfway in order for the lens to focus. you could have pressed it too fast in your excitement. i think you could minimize this by setting the camera on continuous focus.

well just my two psi.

hi jondive im no expert but ill just share some thoughts. the octo pics do look either out of focus or blurred. im thinking that maybe this was due to camera shake or not pressing the button halfway. im thinking it could be more of the latter.
as you may know, you need to press the button halfway in order for the lens to focus. you could have pressed it too fast in your excitement. i think you could minimize this by setting the camera on continuous focus.

well just my two psi.

Thanks RAB, I think you are correct, my maiden voyage with the camera and I can believe it may have been as simple as my lack of pressing the button 1/2 way to get the focus. Like you said excitement driving quick press! Oh well out of 1200 pics and a boatload of movie clips I did manage some decent shots. Just want to improve my skills for the next time!

Thanks, Jon

Jon, the first octo is out of focus, the second one shows motion blur...your images have all the details embedded in them, so you can check how it was actually taken... but a couple of pieces of advice:

1. The closer you get, the more important focus will be.

2. Taking natuaral light photos can result in very slow shutter speeds if you don't check. Normally, underwater it takes a steady hand to use anything below a 1/125th...and if you move, even a 1/250th will show blur.

3. When you get close.. beware focus lock on the background (not shown in your examples)...After the above two issues, it is the next biggest issue.

Thanks for the tips, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Ironic how the octo was a good subject from the perspective of not moving much, but with its natural tendency to blend into it's background it made the focus more challenging. And then of course the fact I was hyped up to see an octo that made holding thinks steady a challenge. I did buy a basic tray with two handles and that really did help keep things stable in most of my shots.

Jon, the first octo is out of focus, the second one shows motion blur...your images have all the details embedded in them, so you can check how it was actually taken... but a couple of pieces of advice:

1. The closer you get, the more important focus will be.

2. Taking natuaral light photos can result in very slow shutter speeds if you don't check. Normally, underwater it takes a steady hand to use anything below a 1/125th...and if you move, even a 1/250th will show blur.

3. When you get close.. beware focus lock on the background (not shown in your examples)...After the above two issues, it is the next biggest issue.

The Irony that is the Zs3 in taking u/w pics...

1. Superb colors and clear pics in Underwater/fish mode- BUT- you dont have shutter speed control, and camera at times (actually most of the time) captures images at 1/60th- 1/30th resulting in blurry/ghost pics, reserve this mode for still nudis, for critters with slightest movement, (e.g. shrimps, mantis, moving fish) forget this mode as it will deliver guaranteed blur

2. Put in normal mode (where you can get good macro shots) and you can control/ limit shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/250, enabling you to capture sharp, crisp no shake pics..., but churns out awful colors...(no raw so hard to edit , wb a pain) - only solution here, strobe (or maybe a red filter?),

If only you can set shutter mode to 1/125 or 1/250 in u/w/ fish mode, Zs3 would have been perfect for pics even with the absence of strobe..

with video, go u/w mode,
with pics, normal cam mode +strobe would be best, no shutter control in uw :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom