Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a Panasonic ZS3 and the Panasonic DMW-MCTZ7 housing.

I've decided to go with the Inon 2000-S Strobe.

My question is: What fiber optic cable do I use? Does anyone have a part number and place where I can order it from? Should I try to get the Strobe, tray, arms and FO cable from the same place as a package? Sorry I'm such a noob at this.

The fiber optic cable will be strobe specific. You will be using an Inon strobe, so get an Inon fiber optic cable at the same time. mounting it to your camera can take some creativity (or just buy a mount that will hold it. Me, I use the cables for the YS 110 I have, get a rubber block.. drill a hole to fit the cable end, then double side tape that to the camera housing...been using that for years now...

The stobes I've been looking at are the Inon S-2000 or Sea & Sea YS-110a
&
LED Video light that looks pretty good is the I-Torch VDO.

No ideas yet on the tray and arms.

I'll be traveling a lot with this so size and weight are a consideration as well.

Hi Scuba Junky,
I have an ZS3, dual I-Torch VDO. I also use a Sea & Sea YS-110a strobe with an Oly 5050. You are welcome to check out my video at youtube
YouTube - Diving Puerto Galera, Philippines
YouTube - Diving Verde Island, Philippines

My stills can be found at Flckr
Cabo LaPaz, Mexico Oct 8 - 13, 2009 - a set on Flickr

Let me know if you have any questions.

Joe. I only have the ZS3 and will be using it for both video and photos. Do you think the dual I-Torch VDO lights give you enough light to do both with your ZS3?

I'm also wondering what you are using for a try and arms

I got the I-Torch and the dual tray and arms and connectors at "Travel Sports Equipment". Here is their link
Travel Sports Equipment

It is this dive shop that actually has the I-Torch manufactured for them. They are not simply distributors. The light is strong enough for macro work pics. I have not done any testing yet for wide angle pics.
Our ZS3 claim to fame is its HD capabilities and is not so hot at taking stills. But it is probably good enough when you are making a movie by integrating stills with video together. I've come to realize that it is important to have a good dive light for day dives whether you are shooting video or not. Water absorbs color and you are really missing a lot if don't shine a light all the time when you are below 50 feet.

The lights are compact, but they are quite negative in water so I think I might try and make my arms more positive to make the rig more neutral.

Joe - I took a look at that web sight. Are you using the tray with the handles that are curved? I've been wondering if they would be more comefortable than the strait handles.

If I use a pair of good focus lights for video and they can double for stills, than I think that might be pretty good. Originally I was going to get something like the HD Tray (with curved handles) 2 arms 4" & 6" on each side. I was thinking of a Inon s-2000 strobe for stills and something like the Big Blue focus light for video. Geez, now I need to rethink the whole thing........

Yes, the tray that you see with the curved handles is what I use. They have foam on the handles and are very comfortable. It is perfect for our ZS3 with the lumix case. There is no reason to spend more than $100 for one. I also have a 4" and 6" arms on each side. But dive lights are quite negative and you will likely need to add some bouyancy in some manner to the arms to keep the rig from placing stress on your wrists. Keep in mind that you won't be able to take nice colorful wide angle video at depth (below 50 feet) with just one light. Some may argue that manual white balance (MWB)is sufficient in dealing with our color absorption challenge. MWB helps, but it is no substitute for shining a light on your subject to capture saturated color. When selecting a light make sure you know the degrees of coverage. Most video lights don't offer more than 50 degrees, but you need at least 100 degrees of coverage for wide angle, which means two lights. So it really depends on what type of diving and what type of photography you want to emphasize.

very nice joe

Joe can you share the setting(s) used on the ZS3. The Malaysia video had some great colors, especially the coral shots and the turtle shell. Was this just underwater scene mode? Any other settings? Didn't look like you had any external lighting. Awesome videos!

I am off in two weeks for my first time with the ZS3 and the Panny housing

Hi Jon,
The settings involved a combination of camera and software that made for some saturated colors. Yes, I did use the underwater scene mode. In addition, I dialed up the color saturation slightly above neutral with my video editor--Muvee Reveal 8. There was a lot of ambient light (in fact, too much as far as I'm concerned) so there wasn't much need for external lighting. Best of luck with your upcoming dive trip!

Back
Top Bottom