Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to add light to my setup. Since I'm really new to UW video/photography I've really gotten confused looking online at trays, handles, flex arms, strobes, LED video lights etc......

I'd like to start with a tray that can accomodate 2 handles. They come in so many sizes and widths. Not sure what to get.

I like to add 1 arm (Flex-Arm or some other type?) How long should it be?

A pretty nice LED light with defuser that can be used for video and maybe Photos while I save up for a Strobe. Or would you guys recommend getting the strobe first and adding the LED light later?

Geez so much to learn......

The stobes I've been looking at are the Inon S-2000 or Sea & Sea YS-110a

LED Video light that looks pretty good is the I-Torch VDO.

No ideas yet on the tray and arms.

I'll be traveling a lot with this so size and weight are a consideration as well.

The stobes I've been looking at are the Inon S-2000 or Sea & Sea YS-110a

LED Video light that looks pretty good is the I-Torch VDO.

No ideas yet on the tray and arms.

I'll be traveling a lot with this so size and weight are a consideration as well.

I have YS-110's... not small strobes.. for travel, go with Inon (both are very nice).

Arms and trays...

Jack has several really nicely priced ones:

Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Strobe versus light... humm, well if you do mostly video, then lights are nice, if you do mostly stills.. get strobes.

But if you can do white balance correctly, then lights are not needed, this is 90ft down, in green water, just using white balance:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/MVI_2479.avi

While one can take pictures with that white balance, it is so dark they you have to use iso800... which makes some very grainy images.

Thanks Puffer. I'll be using the ZS3 and it really likes lite for photos, so I think I'll go with the Inon S-2000 strobe to start with. I'll keep my video to ambient light for the time being, or fire off my Salvo HID (I'll have to equip it with a DIY diffuser).

I'll check out the Optical Ocean Sales. Do you use a dual arm or single? Dual meaning a strobe on one side and focus light for video on the other. Also do you recommend Flex-Arm or some of the other Ball joint arms?

I couldn't get the link to the 2479.avi to work. I'll do a search.

Thanks

Wow, I was on the Optical Ocean site earlier today and looked at two possible solutions:

Optical Ocean Sales S-Tray & Arm Set (curved handles)

Optical Ocean Flat Tray & Arms Set 1 (strait handles)

Not sure which would be more comfortable.

Thanks Puffer. I'll be using the ZS3 and it really likes lite for photos, so I think I'll go with the Inon S-2000 strobe to start with. I'll keep my video to ambient light for the time being, or fire off my Salvo HID (I'll have to equip it with a DIY diffuser).

I'll check out the Optical Ocean Sales. Do you use a dual arm or single? Dual meaning a strobe on one side and focus light for video on the other. Also do you recommend Flex-Arm or some of the other Ball joint arms?

I couldn't get the link to the 2479.avi to work. I'll do a search.

Thanks

Just do a search for an AVI codex, and download one...as a note, any time you cannot play a video, just go look for it's codex.. it is how windows knows how to play anything.

I use a dual arm, with dual strobes (while I have a big blue video light, with manual white balance (see video).. I find I don't need it.)

As a side note, most directions for using white balance don't work that well (the white or grey card for example).. as one needs the whole water effect to get good color.

I really need to post before and after videos to show just how striking the effect is.

I've got a Panasonic ZS3 and the Panasonic DMW-MCTZ7 housing.

I've decided to go with the Inon 2000-S Strobe.

My question is: What fiber optic cable do I use? Does anyone have a part number and place where I can order it from? Should I try to get the Strobe, tray, arms and FO cable from the same place as a package? Sorry I'm such a noob at this.

Puffer. Regarding WB, my ZS3 has automatic, manual and several preset settings such as UW. For video without a video light, do you recommend just using the Underwater mode or do you recommend using Manual WB? If Manual WB, what is the best way to set it if using the grey card doesn't work that well?

Puffer. Regarding WB, my ZS3 has automatic, manual and several preset settings such as UW. For video without a video light, do you recommend just using the Underwater mode or do you recommend using Manual WB? If Manual WB, what is the best way to set it if using the grey card doesn't work that well?

compare this video (sorry, I keep changing formats).. this one is quicktime.. to the one above... same water.

This was done with auto white balance, and is about 20 feet shallower:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/MVI_0948.MOV

Same water, just the first one would have even less red.

The only difference is manual white balance.

These happen to be canon ones, but the same rules apply for any camera..

So, in general, here they are:

1. Shallow, clear water... you can use the UW setting..or set manual, but both can do a very nice job.

2. Water that is not clear, you can use the grey or white card...you are adjusting for the amount and color of light that is getting down that far.

3. Bad vis, very off color water...here there is as much an issue with light getting to you, as there is the light travelling from the subject to you. I you adjust with the grey card, things will have good color close to you, but things farther away will not.

Off the panhandle, tried white, grey... small, then bigger, then really big, never got the right color of water.. Then I tried using the bottom, pointing it at various directions and distances (heck, it is only a button push, until you get the right look, and then doing the video...water now looks like some tropical, clear water place.

I have a lot of really green, washed out video's I did, until I learned to just be willing to reset manual until I got good color.

This was filmed about 50 yards away from where the nurse shark was done.. only with manual white balance. You will notice that at the very start, there sunlight over exposing the red channel..this is in around 70 of very green water, and that channel is turned up about as high as it will go.. so any red that gets down there were over load the sensor.. a light, by the way, shows a dark red beam...so I have to avoid lights.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/MVI_1969.mpg

Back
Top Bottom