Equipment for OW class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capntang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This will be my third OW certification class, due only to the fact that I never completed my open water dives the first two times.

I already have decent beginner-level MFS and boots, though some of it has seen better days. My mask, for instance - it's been stored in a cool, dry place for the past few years, yet the clear silicone now appears dirty and kinda brown. I'm sure the mask still works, so I may hold onto it for the time being. My fins are the standard solid plastic open-heel fins, and I expect they'll be fine for the class. My snorkel is ... a snorkel.

I'll have to buy new boots as the zippers on the ones I already have are stuck. I was going to order them before the class, but I might just wait until the first day of class or something and cash in on the shop's 20% student discount.

On to my question - I'm wondering if I should buy my own wetsuit, gloves, or any other equipment prior to the class and open water dives.

I know a wetsuit will be provided, but it will be a rental. Would it be best to buy my own - something that fits me well and that I'm sure will be comfortable? The OW dives will be at the Liberty Ship off Wrightsville NC in mid May - would a 3mm suit be sufficient?

I also don't think that gloves will be provided. Would it be worthwhile to pick up a pair prior to the class?

I would hold off on buying any additional gear. Focus on finishing the class first then start looking for a wetsuit.

+1 on finishing the class first. Then you can celebrate buy going gear shopping.

The 3MM suit is suffificient in May - unless you are really sensitive to cold.

Have fun and good luck.

For the class, I'm going to assume it in going to be held in a pool and pools tend to be cool. I'd consider getting a 3mm for the pool sessions. A 3mm will be very handy then for trips to warm water areas and for the summer in SC in the ocean.

I suspect though that a 3mm will be too cool for May off of SC. I wouldn't be surprised if folks are in 5mm with hoods and stuff still then. It takes a while for the waters to warm back up.

Just curious, why haven't you completed the OW class in the past?

I'm hot natured, so probably not the best person to ask about wetsuits. I would suspect, though, that the rental suit is 5MM. The water is typically low 70s in May, or was the couple of times I have been, but I recommend talking to your LDS to see what the conditions are. You can always add a hooded vest to layer up.

Congrats to trying the class again...get'r done.

Just curious, why haven't you completed the OW class in the past?

School, work, and other scheduling conflicts. I did a PADI course in '96 and NAUI in 2000 or so. I had no problems either time and passed the class just fine. Neither class included open water dives, and I never could find the time to schedule them on my own.

I did do half of the OW dives after the NAUI course on a private charter and had a great time, but I never did schedule the second half.

This time, I'm taking a week off, heading up to Wrightsville to my aunt/uncle's incredible beach house (ain't family grand :D), and doing it all from start to finish in the course of a week with Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington, NC - class Mon-Fri and OW dives Sat and Sun.

No excuses for not getting it all done ... provided I pass my swim test - might have to backstroke that one as it's been a good long while since I've actually been swimming. :D

I agree with those who suggest you use their rental equipment until you have had a chance to understand fully the kind of diving you will be doing and thus be better able to assess your primary needs.

I'll give the shop a call tomorrow and see what they rent and what might be a good idea in addition (gloves, hood, other small stuff) given the expected conditions.

I'll probably hold off on buying a full-on wetsuit. I may look into an inexpensive dive skin or something to use during the pool training as I do tend to get a little cool. It might also be nice to have something to put between me and a rental wetsuit.

Or should I just hold off on everything until after the class?

Or should I just hold off on everything until after the class?

Talk to the instructor handling your pool dives. The stuff used by students in the pool is pretty safe--never peed in. I wouldn't bother with any kind of a skin for that.

You can then find out what is going to happen on the OW dives, and especially what the shop's policy is regarding that kind of equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom