first time to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whodunit68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
ok, so next weekend, 14 May, 2010, I arrive in CUN then have to make my way over to Coz for a weekend in diving.
If you had only one weekend and were traveling alone, don't have a car or hotel yet, which dive operator would you contact? Why?
I didn't have a ton of time to research as I found this out about 15 minutes ago. Flight is booked. Thanks.

ok, so next weekend, 14 May, 2010, I arrive in CUN then have to make my way over to Coz for a weekend in diving.
If you had only one weekend and were traveling alone, don't have a car or hotel yet, which dive operator would you contact? Why?
I didn't have a ton of time to research as I found this out about 15 minutes ago. Flight is booked. Thanks.
Nice predicament to be in. Congrats on the trip.
First off, I now grab a little cessna at the Cancun airport over to Coz. It's 130usd return. The airline is Mayair. I like getting there in 20mins. Or take the ferry.
The dive op I have been using the last couple years is Scubamaucozumel. Mau and Opal run the shop, incredibly cool people. The dms are second to none. Very safe, dive your gas, go anywhere on concensus of divers. No extra charge for going far south. They are located at Villa Blanca. Opal can get you a screamin' deal on hotels nearby. I have know them many years before they cut loose to open their shop. You will likely walk away with new friends for sure. Tell her kevin sent ya. I'll be there at the end of the month again. O ya they use fast six pac boats. Water and fruit for SI on beach. too good. have fun with however you use!

Another how-to on getting from CUN to CZM - over land and sea - then check out the rest of the site for good dive op.
Have a great time!
Diving Cozumel from the Mayan riviera

You also might check out Blue Angel Resort - cute little hotel a bit south of town right on the water (only 22 rooms) with their own dive op on the premises. They have an excellent reputation and because the place is small, it's mostly divers staying there. Since you're short on time it might be convenient to have everything in one place - they also have a restaurant on site.

Blue Angel Resort

Otherwise, if you don't care about packaging everything together - I recommend Scuba with Alison - great op, great service, fast comfy boat.

ScubaWithAlison

+1 on Alison... if you go with her looks like you would be diving with me and CVchief that weekend. I'm staying at the Casa Del Mar & Alison picks up there. Don't forget to hit Wet Windy's Saturday night for drinks with the SB'ers.

You may want to consider Vista del Mar boutique hotel which is located in town on Melgar which is the main waterfront street and diving with BlueXTSEA Diving, Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico Since you are there for just a couple of days you would have the convenience of diving as you meet the boats at the in town pier which is only a short walk from the hotel as well as being able to walk to see the town and visit a restaurant or two.

Regardless of where you end up at, Have a GREAT TIME !!

Sue

Lucky you! You have many, many options. A place I highly recommend is Aqua Safari on the main street, just down from the ferry dock. The Safari Inn is a comfortable, budget hotel located above the dive shop. All information is on their website Cozumel Diving with Aqua Safari Check out their dive and stay packages. Because it is your first time to Cozumel, in town accommodation makes sense - you can walk to restaurants. Enjoy your stay and diving!

Hey, great trip coming up! Cozumel diving is like none other!

I agree with Kevin here in this thread and recommend ScubaMau! We just got back from Cozumel (again) and diving with ScubaMau, which was GREAT. I have been diving with most but not all of the dive operators mentioned in this thread over past years, stayed in several hotels and followed Opal and Mau when they opened ScubaMau a couple years ago.

For you I would recommend ScubaMau due to the great central location on Cozumel, easy access to downtown, next door to Villa Blanca where we stayed this time, (Opal can set you up with a great weekend hotel/dive package), easy shore dive access for checkout dives, boat pickups, etc., walking distance to good places to eat, or quick taxi ride if you don't want to walk, great divemasters, and Opal and Mau have lots of knowledge for activities above water as well; you'll be treated like you have always been diving with them.

Have fun and let us know how your trip to Cozumel goes!
Safe diving!

Back
Top Bottom